Questions for the leavers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Questions for the leavers

Post by Bob tailcat »

As I am spending more time shuttling between Kampot an PP, I notice more and more faces disappearing from both towns. A lot of teachers have gone to vietnam, and the old aussies with kids are starting to go back home to get them educated. Even most of the admin on this site seem to have left. We know who the replacements are.... :stir:

I'm getting itchy feet myself, can see the way the tides turning and wonder whether its time to bail. So questions for those that did leave, how was readapting to life somewhere else? Have you gone forever, oor plan to return? Did you leave a partner behind? How did that go down? Do you still get 'homesick' for the place? So many questions, thanks guys!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Questions for the leavers

Post by bolueeleh »

those that hv resources and had completed their "objectives" with no ties here wld hv left alr, those that hv resources but hv ties here, i.e. GF, wifes, kids, biz, assets, wld find it hard to leave, and lastly those that hv no resources wld hv to just stick it out, maybe not here but somewhere near, like vung tau, vietnam, yes so i assuming most wld want to leave at some point coz there is still so much lacking in KoW
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bolueeleh wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:14 am those that hv resources and had completed their "objectives" with no ties here wld hv left alr, those that hv resources but hv ties here, i.e. GF, wifes, kids, biz, assets, wld find it hard to leave, and lastly those that hv no resources wld hv to just stick it out, maybe not here but somewhere near, like vung tau, vietnam, yes so i assuming most wld want to leave at some point coz there is still so much lacking in KoW
Jesus Christ bolueeleh, how about stopping writing in Morse code? It i giving me a headache.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

my life with Cambodia
lived here in 2008/09, (first visit was back in 1988), enjoyed it immensely, but knew that Living in thailand offered so much more.
Over the past 10 years have returned many times, acquired a khmer gf an she lives with me in Thailand, even she prefers it there...

Funny, whenever we are here she has to remind me to lock the car, ( in thailand, I never take the keys out of it)
tells me,"its Cambodia, not like Thailand"

NOW with the Chinese invasion, i wonder how many more will depart
I admire you all that remain here, it does not seem, ( in my eyes), to be getting easier to stay or better or less expensive, ( considering it is a 3rd world country).
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After nearly 15 years I'm getting to old and lazy to move and make a new start anywhere else , no matter how bad it is or gets here. While I still have a foot ( house ) in oz , the rest of my body and soul is happy to remain here and help educate the kids in the family. It gives me a reason to live.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 am my life with Cambodia
lived here in 2008/09, (first visit was back in 1988), enjoyed it immensely, but knew that Living in thailand offered so much more.
Over the past 10 years have returned many times, acquired a khmer gf an she lives with me in Thailand, even she prefers it there...

Funny, whenever we are here she has to remind me to lock the car, ( in thailand, I never take the keys out of it)

I admire you all that remain here, it does not seem, ( in my eyes), to be getting easier to stay or better or less expensive, ( considering it is a 3rd world country).
You're full of shit, are the corrupt generals paying you? You're in every forum pushing the Thailand is so great nonsense. FO.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 am my life with Cambodia

You're full of shit, are the corrupt generals paying you? You're in every forum pushing the Thailand is so great nonsense. FO.
Not on 440 he isn’t.
Freytag
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Freytag »

After 11 years in KoW the boogyman finally came knocking on my door. I had to pull the eject button and landed back in the west again.

Now, the good news: Your wife and kids gonna love it here. For them it's exotic and full of adventures. And shiny new things. If your wife is like a typical Khmer "wife material" kind of girl, she won't have any problems to adapt. As soon as I turn my back on her, she's already chatting someone up. People are friendly and get this big smile on their faces. It's like they're thinking: Thank God, not another Muslima we have to feed!
As soon as the permanent visa is sorted, she already has numerous job offers.

If your wife is a kind of long leg knock off kind of girl, she's going to love it even more. And you better be carefull. Plenty of lonely men with big wallets around here. And big fat unmountiable white chicks. Can't blame them. But your hottie might kick you out. Because here's the bad news: You.

Your former "carrier" in shambles, no network, you find yourself on the dole, drinking cheap redwine and watching daytime TV. Where did those 11 years go? Well, up the hill we go again. With a little bit of luck we might come back again. When the kids finish highschool. That's in about 10 years. <sight>

:facepalm:
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

What the hell are you on about?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:52 pm What the hell are you on about?

Watch the movie and you will understand.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic