Bank refuses loan to be paid off.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Bank refuses loan to be paid off.

Post by newkidontheblock »

Is this common?

Land behind the family property sold to a Chinese developer for possibly a factory. Village wants to build or expand a road and may use eminent domain to take it. Missus wants to redo the hard title to make sure that land isn’t being ripped off than already is.

Problem is older sister has already put out s 5 year bank loan on the hard title. According to older sister, Bank says cannot pay off loan for at least 2 years, even if interest is included in the payment.

Is this normal Cambodian Bank practice? Or is there something else that isn’t being mentioned?
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Bank refuses loan to be paid off.

Post by logos »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm Problem is older sister has already put out s 5 year bank loan on the hard title. According to older sister, Bank says cannot pay off loan for at least 2 years, even if interest is included in the payment.

Is this normal Cambodian Bank practice? Or is there something else that isn’t being mentioned?
Haha, "according to older sister", good one.
You're screwed. 10 to 1 older sister has either sold the land already or intends to shortly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doubtful.

Older sister has her house, the family house with air con bunker, her kids, her younger sisters kids, and youngest sister all living on that land.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

welcome to Khmer banking and loan black hole..
try asking your Khmer lady about the terms or any meaningful data....get a silent period ...until you give up..
ask for a payment booklet...
ask about interest rate...
ask a simple...when is the fucking loan paid off?
when you ask a Khmer.. even a loved one...a loan question ...be prepared to be lied to....
beware of sinking your dough into the black hole..
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

logos wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:08 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm Problem is older sister has already put out s 5 year bank loan on the hard title. According to older sister, Bank says cannot pay off loan for at least 2 years, even if interest is included in the payment.

You're screwed. 10 to 1 older sister has either sold the land already or intends to shortly.
I am with Logos that something fishy is going on and that is the reason for the story. As for an appointment with the bank to sort it out and likely the SIL will find reasons to refuse further deepening suspicion.

It may be that she sub divided the land and sold off some but not all
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Go to the Ministry of Land Management and tell then the Hard title was lost in a flood and you want to see the original on their register to see who is on it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

suspicious alright
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

logos wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:08 pm

I agree, financial agreements within Khmer families are far from clear, and not even always shared among all the the family members involved, so I would certainly not expect them to share it with me.
I keep myself far from this sort of stuff. Khmer have done it their way for ages, and I just try to have it done my way in my house. That's difficult enough sometimes.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm Is this common?

Land behind the family property sold to a Chinese developer for possibly a factory. Village wants to build or expand a road and may use eminent domain to take it. Missus wants to redo the hard title to make sure that land isn’t being ripped off than already is.

Problem is older sister has already put out s 5 year bank loan on the hard title. According to older sister, Bank says cannot pay off loan for at least 2 years, even if interest is included in the payment.

The older sister presumably borrowed the money because she needed money. She was cash poor.

Now your wife is asking her to repay that loan early? How?

If you tell a family member "I need you repay what you borrowed on the house" and the person says "Oh I can't do that now the bank won't take the money" then the logical conclusion is that the borrower cannot or does not want to repay the loan now.

Also, who owns the land anyway? The wife, the older sister, the parents in law, etc. ? If the parents own it, how did the sister borrow on that?

Or are Cambodian properties just vaguely owned by a "family" such that one sister can be borrowing on it while another sister is trying to secure the hard title?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sounds very fishy. Which bank/MFI? I'll dig into the banking code later, but it sounds like nonsense.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic