Finding a (relatively) straight answer on Work Permits?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Finding a (relatively) straight answer on Work Permits?

Post by GTC7 »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading for the passed few weeks or so all over the internet, and talked to various expats here...I can't find a straight answer on work permits, required documents, and visas.

Story/background: I (a yank), have lived in Cambodia for 8 years working for the same import/export company. The owner just sold the company and I was given the choice to relocate to Vietnam, or lose my job. I agreed to go to Vietnam but now am having second thoughts, so I've been looking for another job on the side here. I just got an offer to work at a place here but they have never hired a foreigner before, so they're clueless on the paperwork side. Talking to several agents, I get many different stories on how to obtain a work permit, and many more stories on what papers I actually need.

So, my questions are...

1. Can any business with a "license" apply to sponsor me over?

2. Is there a minimum requirement the business must have in order to sponsor an American over? Registration with a business organization, etc?

3. Is there another way that any freelancers have done to get around the work permit?

Any help appreciated, I'm very confused at what the system actually demands at this point.

GTC7
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Finding a (relatively) straight answer on Work Permits?

Post by Hotdigr »

Ok, I can only relate to you my experience. I received my WP 3 weeks ago, so its fairly up to date.
About 3 months ago I walked into Mottah Travel in Sihanoukville to find out how to apply and what was needed. They looked at my passport and said that will cost you $800. $600 for the last 6 years + $100 for this current year + health check fee ( no actual health check) and agents fee's. They then copied my passport and all the visa's in it. I then paid them $800. 3 weeks ago I received my WP which has written on it " Own Business".
That was it, no other documentation needed but a copy of my Passport and Visa's.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Hotdigr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am Ok, I can only relate to you my experience. I received my WP 3 weeks ago, so its fairly up to date.
About 3 months ago I walked into Mottah Travel in Sihanoukville to find out how to apply and what was needed. They looked at my passport and said that will cost you $800. $600 for the last 6 years + $100 for this current year + health check fee ( no actual health check) and agents fee's. They then copied my passport and all the visa's in it. I then paid them $800. 3 weeks ago I received my WP which has written on it " Own Business".
That was it, no other documentation needed but a copy of my Passport and Visa's.
Yes unfortunately that's what happens! Still it's about at the right price. It's just a back pay, like the missing work permits have been on lone or credit.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Yes mate, not whinging about it at all. In fact 7 years worth of WP's + 7 years of agents fee's would probably have cost a little more!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

1. A legally registered business can legally employ you and legally pay you a salary and legally withhold salary tax as long as it meets the foreign employment quota.

2. Business registration, tax compliance and foreign employment quota.

3. Yes, a lot of people hire agents like @Hotdigr. The problem with the whole "Own Business" idea is that there's a possibility the agents submit forged documents which have, so far, not been properly inspected and found to be fake. There's the risk that this type of "Own Business" work permit holders are setting themselves up or interesting times ahead, if someone ever notices that their submitted documents were fake.

Remember that the fine for late work permit application is $10 per day.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Hotdigr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:01 am Yes mate, not whinging about it at all. In fact 7 years worth of WP's + 7 years of agents fee's would probably have cost a little more!
Yes I agree. The first year in business I had immigration call on me
fax wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am 1. A legally registered business can legally employ you and legally pay you a salary and legally withhold salary tax as long as it meets the foreign employment quota.

2. Business registration, tax compliance and foreign employment quota.

3. Yes, a lot of people hire agents like @Hotdigr. The problem with the whole "Own Business" idea is that there's a possibility the agents submit forged documents which have, so far, not been properly inspected and found to be fake. There's the risk that this type of "Own Business" work permit holders are setting themselves up or interesting times ahead, if someone ever notices that their submitted documents were fake.

Remember that the fine for late work permit application is $10 per day.
Yes very true and talk of clamp downs. I go for my medical then take the certificate to the works and labour dep. With all other legal docs. Apply online. Pay at bank. Then 3 weeks and work permit delivered to me at the door.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

fax wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am
Hopefully not. I was working at the time and would have had no problems with getting the relevant docs. However I was told they weren't required. I also didn't specify an "own business visa, thats just what I was issued with. I feel a LOT more comfortable having it though then not having one at all :)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

3. You can't "get around" work permits. Try the links below, you may be able to get it done online, or at the very least show you what docs you need.

topic18840-30.html#p254075

https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/workers/self/register On this one you can see samples of the necessary docs if you click on the colorful question marks ( ? ) on the right hand side of the page.

:beer3:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken, very true your quote about the work permit.
Last edited by AndyKK on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken, very true your quote about the work permit. I also remember now, posting that excellent step by step guide by -
Dorothée Etienne
13 hrs
WORK PERMIT GUIDE !!

I have never used an agent with any of my collective documents and licence for the business! Due to that exact problem of something not being right! I don't know what exactly the comeback would be. And I wasn't, and whould not want to find out.
So from the beginning, had to be what was required legal, and by myself. Had at sometimes lots of running around from departments. Sometimes language problems. But also, those same officials that would put me in the right direction if needed.
PSD Kiwi who posts his excellent knowledge in this field has been the most help, for me too obtain what was necessary.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic