First time to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Daniel87
Tourist
Sweden

First time to Cambodia

Post by Daniel87 »

Hello!
Im soon flying to Cambodia. I have visited Thailand alot but never Cambodia and hoping to get som tips from you guys.

I have booked a hotell for 7 first days in Phnom penh and thinking of sihanoukville after that and Kampot? and last Siem reap then and fly back to Thailand after 30 days.
Anywhere else i should go?

I'm a single traveler age 30 love to party until early morning and i offen (when i visit Thailand) reach weakly limited on my debit card (15000 SEK ~1700USD) so i usually bring "some" Swedish cash with me and change to baht.
Can i do the same in Cambodja SEK-USD? is it same as Thailand you have exchange booth everywhere? Im gonna stay at st.184.

Any bars you guys can recommend? i don't mind "girly bars" at least they get paid to drink with me.
any tourist attractions i should visit when i'm in PP?

I did read thet Koh rong have full moon party is it worth a visit?

best regards Daniel
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: First time to Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

For a non-girly bar, check out Sundance on St. 172. Always a lively bunch of characters in there. For watching sports, Score Bar in BKK 1 and All Sports Bar near Pontoon are pretty good. If it's your first time you'll probably want to go see the Killing Fields & S-21. You can see them both in a day. It's really depressing, but I think everyone should go just to get a basic grasp on the horror this country went through. Oh, and there's an awesome little coffee shop called La Chronique in the Russian Market area worth a visit if you enjoy coffee shops. Good luck.
Daniel87
Tourist
Sweden

Post by Daniel87 »

Gator wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 pm For a non-girly bar, check out Sundance on St. 172. Always a lively bunch of characters in there. For watching sports, Score Bar in BKK 1 and All Sports Bar near Pontoon are pretty good. If it's your first time you'll probably want to go see the Killing Fields & S-21. You can see them both in a day. It's really depressing, but I think everyone should go just to get a basic grasp on the horror this country went through. Oh, and there's an awesome little coffee shop called La Chronique in the Russian Market area worth a visit if you enjoy coffee shops. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips, I will check out Sundance and i will stop by the cofee shop when im at Russian market if they serve ice coffee :)
Killing fields and s 21 is allredy planed 1 day trip, maybe i should have mentioned it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 am Killing fields and s 21 is allredy planed 1 day trip, maybe i should have mentioned it.
If you are going to those places I'd recommend doing some reading/ research first. The literature and signage at those places are often anachronistic and weathered so people often mistake them for signs that existed in 1976 when those places were running at full throttle. I was at the Choueng Ek Killing Field site last year for the first time in ages, they have walkways around it because before people just walked over the graves like I did when I went there first, because there was nowhere else to walk. They also built a dam because it's on the edge of a huge lake and was getting eroded in floods. The dam has a walkway around it and a big pond, and it is really lovely down there, loads of birds chirping, breezes coming off the lake. The thing that bothered me is that the (Japanese if I remember) company that have done such a good job paving the nearby roads and preserving/ developing the site haven't paid too much attention to their "audio-visual" stuff. They give you these headphones and you are supposed to go to certain places while they talk about history. It was terrible, I was so bored listening to perhaps well-intentioned but uninformed commentary after a few minutes I turned it off. So I had a nice stroll while my sister and her boyfriend listened to this on a long amble around and then decided they wanted to watch the "movie". This seemed a bit more coherent with the historical stuff, but there were other problems. It was patched together badly from old newsreel footage, and has some colorful use of titling. There is an English voice-over, and it's hilarious. It's a guy who you can tell has impeccable English but has been told to read directly from the script, so repeats some very familiar mistakes. I don't mean to disrespect the memorial in any way but they should update that movie.

Anyway, check these out for starters, both are a bit on the heavy side though:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic