Historic! Trump aces N. Korea

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Historic! Trump aces N. Korea

Post by that genius »

I never thought I'd live to see it...and I don't really like Trump (or any recent US president/warmonger), but Hitler was a better choice than Hillary...

IF it goes through, fantastic achievement, Nobel Peace Prize alert. Credit where credit is due.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/ ... 45078.html
Koreas summit: All the latest updates
Historic inter-Korean summit ends as Kim, Moon agree to work for 'complete denuclearisation' of Korean Peninsula.

Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong-un talk one-on-one in the demilitarised zone [Korea Summit Press Pool via Reuters]
more on North Korea
• Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in hold historic meetingtoday
• Koreas summit: All the latest updatestoday
• Did North Korea really commit to denuclearisation?yesterday
• Inter-Korea summit: What do Koreans think?yesterday
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un made history on Friday as he crossed into South Korea to hold talks with President Moon Jae-in.
It is the first time a North Korean leader has set foot in its southern neighbour since the end of the Korean War.
The two are holding talks in the demilitarised zone as part of the first inter-Korea summit in more than a decade. The meeting centred on the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula and a permanent peace deal between the two countries.
Here are all the latest updates:
Trump welcomes 'historic meeting'
• In a Tweet, US President Donald Trump has welcomed the meeting between Moon and Kim. "Good things are happening, but only time will tell!" he said.
Russia, Japan, China respond to inter-Korea summit
• The Kremlin has hailed the meeting between Kim and Moon. "This is very positive news," President Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
• Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he expected North Korea to take concrete steps towards carrying out its promises. He added Japan was "absolutely not" being left out of the denuclearisation process and that he would stay in close contact with the US and South Korea.
• China has welcomed the joint statement, saying they hope all parties can maintain the momentum for dialogue and can ointly promote the political resolution process for the Korean Peninsula issue. A statement by the Foreign Ministry added Beijing is willing to keep playing a pro-active role.
Kim says Koreas are 'one nation' in joint statement
• "There is no reason why we should fight each other - we are one nation," North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said in a joint statement with his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in.
• After delivering their statement, the leaders joined their wives Ri Sol-ju and Kim Jung-sook for a banquet.
Moon, Kim pledge to sign peace treaty this year
• Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong-un signed a three-part declaration in the Peace House, pledging to sign a peace treaty to formally end the war between North and South Korea this year.
• The declaration says the countries will work towards the "complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula," but does not provide any specific measures.
• By May 1, loudspeaker broadcasts and distribution of propaganda leaflets will be stopped, the declaration says.
• North and South Korea will also pursue talks that will include the United States and potentially China.
• The declaration states that the Koreas will work towards reunification and establish a communications post in Kaesong, North Korea. The countries will also organise a family reunion to be held on August 15.
• Moon will visit North Korea in autumn.

Kim and Moon embrace each other after signing the "Panmunjom Declaration" [Korea Summit Press Pool via The Associated Press]
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Historic! Trump aces N. Korea

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I see nothing wrong with a president that stands up for his country, and speaks his own mind. Better than any sneaky rat politician in my book. I like that he doesn't give a fuck about political correctness, tweets crazily at 3am, and grabs ass on occasion too. I hope that things work out smoothly in Korea, the war ends, and that Kim gives his people a better life.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Only time will tell, indeed. Any sort of peace talks are a good thing. After that announcement, we have the summit coming up between two whackos who change their minds every 2 minutes, Trump and Kim, which will decide whether peace is possible. Good luck with that. 8-)
I sincerely hope that they find some middle ground for agreement.
- The leaders of North and South Korea have promised after a landmark summit to bring “lasting peace” to the peninsula with a commitment to denuclearisation and ending decades of hostilities.

Speaking at the end of an extraordinary day that began with a lingering handshake across the demarcation line separating their countries, the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, and the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, issued a joint statement that was short on detail but offered cause for optimism as the world looks ahead to a summit between Kim and Donald Trump.

The US president, in his first comments on the declaration, tweeted: “Good things are happening, but only time will tell.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... oon-jae-in
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Hmmm, this all sounds vaguely familiar, like when Reagan got peace in the Middle East sorted out. Well done to these peacemakers, they do a great job, when they aren't too busy comparing and boasting about missile sizes. All good.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Didn't that guy feed his uncle to starving dogs or was on that Game of Thrones. Art imitating life and all that. I'm crossing my fingers and pretending he wasn't the same guy that was throwing around missiles recently. Never sell the bear's skin before one has killed the beast as they say in bear country.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Yea, well, uh, if you've paid attention you'd know that North Korea was historically the side fighting for the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, going back to the 1950's, against the US and ROK which were the only ones with nukes there for a very long time, and in spite of the terms of the armistice.
The United States deployed nuclear weapons in South Korea continuously for 33 years, from 1958 to 1991. The South Korean-based nuclear arsenal peaked at an all-time high of approximately 950 warheads in 1967. Since the last US nuclear weapons were withdrawn from South Korea in 1991, the United States has protected South Korea and Japan under a “nuclear umbrella” using nuclear bombers and submarines based elsewhere.
the U.S. introduced nuclear weapons into South Korea in January 1958. For this purpose, the UN Command removed NNSC personnel from South Korea in June 1956, and nullified part of the Armistice Agreement in June 1957.

As nuclear weapons were deployed in South Korea, North Korea began a massive program of underground construction in the 1960s and deployed its conventional forces in forward positions. North Korea asked the Soviet Union in 1963 and China in 1964 for help in developing nuclear weapons of its own, but was rebuffed. South Korea prepared to develop its own nuclear weapons in 1974 and North Korea began to develop its own program in the late 1970s.

North Korea seeks, through development of nuclear weapons, to secure international recognition as well as economic aid and national security. Thus for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, provision must be made for North Korea to dismantle its nuclear weapons without a sense of insecurity. In addition, it is unrealistic to urge North Korea to unilaterally dismantle its nuclear weapons without a breakthrough in U.S.-North Korea relations, preparing the withdrawal of US forces in South Korea, eliminating the U.S. nuclear umbrella for South Korea, and abolishing the U.S.-South Korea Alliance.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

dron wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 pm Yea, well, uh, if you've paid attention you'd know that North Korea was historically the side fighting for the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, going back to the 1950's, against the US and ROK which were the only ones with nukes there for a very long time, and in spite of the terms of the armistice.
The United States deployed nuclear weapons in South Korea continuously for 33 years, from 1958 to 1991. The South Korean-based nuclear arsenal peaked at an all-time high of approximately 950 warheads in 1967. Since the last US nuclear weapons were withdrawn from South Korea in 1991, the United States has protected South Korea and Japan under a “nuclear umbrella” using nuclear bombers and submarines based elsewhere.
the U.S. introduced nuclear weapons into South Korea in January 1958. For this purpose, the UN Command removed NNSC personnel from South Korea in June 1956, and nullified part of the Armistice Agreement in June 1957.

As nuclear weapons were deployed in South Korea, North Korea began a massive program of underground construction in the 1960s and deployed its conventional forces in forward positions. North Korea asked the Soviet Union in 1963 and China in 1964 for help in developing nuclear weapons of its own, but was rebuffed. South Korea prepared to develop its own nuclear weapons in 1974 and North Korea began to develop its own program in the late 1970s.

North Korea seeks, through development of nuclear weapons, to secure international recognition as well as economic aid and national security. Thus for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, provision must be made for North Korea to dismantle its nuclear weapons without a sense of insecurity. In addition, it is unrealistic to urge North Korea to unilaterally dismantle its nuclear weapons without a breakthrough in U.S.-North Korea relations, preparing the withdrawal of US forces in South Korea, eliminating the U.S. nuclear umbrella for South Korea, and abolishing the U.S.-South Korea Alliance.
if you've paid attention you'd know that North Korea was historically the side fighting for the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula,
Lol. So all those NK missiles were only fired for fun. Victimhood.
Unfortunately, it suits both Koreas,( as well as China, the US and Russia), to keep the Korean nuclear missile contest going, so there's little hope that there will be an agreement IMO.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

While none of us can accurately predict the future, I think we are going to see big changes in North Korea.

One of the main reasons is North Koreans can see that South Korea is a wealthy nation. Why not make changes so North Korea can become like South Korea?

Tell me I was wrong in ten years time.

Most people never expected some of the big events which happened in the past.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm While none of us can accurately predict the future, I think we are going to see big changes in North Korea.

One of the main reasons is North Koreans can see that South Korea is a wealthy nation. Why not make changes so North Korea can become like South Korea?

Tell me I was wrong in ten years time.

Most people never expected some of the big events which happened in the past.
I hope you're right. But, why ? And why now ? Is there a big carrot ( or a stick) that has changed the game plan recently ?
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

The Korean leaders may get nobel prizes, as might the Chinese premier, but the Nobel committee couldn't stomach even nominating Trump for a Nobel prize for any reason despite any possible peaceful outcome. The global leftie mainstream media just couldn't accept that thought ever for any reason. Yet they did happily gave Obama a Nobel prize for being a passive, well-spoken black guy after what, only 20 minutes in office?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic