Is it racist?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is it racist?

Post by Artful Dodger »

I have been thinking of writing on my sandwich board sign outside my place in P.P... "All nationalities welcome... as long as your first language is not Chinese".
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is it racist?

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm I have been thinking of writing on my sandwich board sign outside my place in P.P... "All nationalities welcome... as long as your first language is not Chinese".
You will be broke soon with that attitude considering you the current/future economic climate in KoW.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm I have been thinking of writing on my sandwich board sign outside my place in P.P... "All nationalities welcome... as long as your first language is not Chinese".
If you're actually looking for a straight response - yes, it's racist because it's exclusionary based on ethnicity. No, it's not hate speech. Is it covered by your freedom of expression and the fact that people are not entitled to your goods/services - yes. Will you get more blowback than it's worth - probably.

Edit: In your position I'd be more inclined to write on the bottom of the board, in Chinese only, "Be respectful of staff and other customers or you'll be told to leave."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

I do not want chinese coming into my place
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:24 pm
If you're actually looking for a straight response - yes, it's racist because it's exclusionary based on ethnicity. No, it's not hate speech. Is it covered by your freedom of expression and the fact that people are not entitled to your goods/services - yes. Will you get more blowback than it's worth - probably.

Edit: In your position I'd be more inclined to write on the bottom of the board, in Chinese only, "Be respectful of staff and other customers or you'll be told to leave."
or maybe i write... "chinese welcome to the door, but do not walk inside"
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

seriously... do you think i could get in trouble for vocally excluding Chinese?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Yes.

Which country is Cambodia's biggest trade partner/investor?

Or you could just fly a drone in Takhmao, that would be quicker.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes. It is.
But I imagine that you can refuse to serve people if you want to.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 pm Yes. It is.
But I imagine that you can refuse to serve people if you want to.
Racist as all get out but its YOUR PLACE>
i'd write it in Chinese thou, :beer3: so no one else knows ur a racist

"Chinese not welcome"

不受欢迎的汉语

http://www.systransoft.com/lp/chinese-translation/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

How do I write in Chinese...

"fuck off Chinese scum. Go fuck yourself. The only war you bastards ever won was a war against your own people."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic