Scary Hacking Tools - Remote Microphone + Data

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Scary Hacking Tools - Remote Microphone + Data

Post by Milord »

Researchers Find and Decode the Spy Tools Governments Use to Hijack Phones
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/remote-con ... veillance/
Map showing the number of countries where command-and-control servers for the Hacking Team are currently being used. Courtesy of Kaspersky Lab

... While Hacking Team’s core Galileo tool for spying on computers is valuable for governments, the mobile spy modules are particularly attractive to repressive regimes where activists and others use their mobile phones to organize and stay connected during protests.

Cops can install the phone implants directly onto a mobile device if they have physical access to it. But they can also install the implants if a user connects the mobile device to a computer—for example, to charge the device—and the computer is already infected with Da Vinci or Galileo.

The iOS spy module works only on jailbroken iPhones, but agents can simply run a jailbreaking tool and then install the spyware. The only thing protecting a user from a surreptitious jailbreak is enabling a password on the device. But if the device is connected to a computer infected with Da Vinci or Galileo software and the user unlocks the device with a password, the malware on the computer can surreptitiously jailbreak the phone to install the spy tool. ...

Long article by not too Technical. Gave me the shutters.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Scary Hacking Tools - Remote Microphone + Data

Post by Francis »

Shouldn't give you the shutters (I'm joking), but that is going on for years. The remote activation of microphones and cameras on mobile phones is STANDARD (btw. not only "Big Brother" is able to do that - private companies(NGOs ?) in some way related to "Big Brother" have the same capabilities.) BTW., you don't have to do much to become a potential target. Living in a "weird" country is enough.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I can guarantee that I am aware of everything installed on my phone. Unless there is spyware built into the core operating system (given I'd open source, very unlikely) my phone is as secure as Android can be.

It does have remote access capabilities. The camera and microphone can be turned on remotely (and more) but this is a result of an anti-theft app that I installed myself. I am reasonably confident in that apps security or I wouldn't have it installed. It doesn't send any information unless I activate it.

I am also confident that even if a third party had physical access to my phone they would neither be able to install anything to it nor extract any useful data from it. Unless of course the could brute force my encryption key, likely to take thousands of years given its length and complexity.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Does everyone think their life is so important and interesting that anyone is spending time, money and effort to spy on them? Do they think "big brother" wants to record thousands of hours of them having a pot-noodle and a wank night after night?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

In light of the "nude" photos circulating where people had no idea that iCloud stored pics forever, I thought a heads up to the capabilities of spyware was in order.

I have a computer background and awareness what's running on my stuff but most have no clue. (but I was still hacked)

We also don't know what ideas will become "sensitive" to what Government, when, depending which way the wind blows.

If some crackpot posts a "manifesto" to a forum that I visit, does everyone become guilty by association?

Have you ever heard stories of police raiding the wrong house? Searching the wrong car? Wrong IP?

Shit happens, be aware.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

and ppl hand me shit for being "one of those" (that does not have a cellphone)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:Does everyone think their life is so important and interesting that anyone is spending time, money and effort to spy on them? Do they think "big brother" wants to record thousands of hours of them having a pot-noodle and a wank night after night?
I'm not that interesting.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

When Snowden does an interview, the battery is taken out of his phone.

Others are asked to not even bring one.

I don't think we have his problems but awareness is not a bad thing.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Milord wrote:When Snowden does an interview, the battery is taken out of his phone.

Others are asked to not even bring one.
Interesting that you said that. So why do you think that we cannot remove the batteries of newer phones anymore ??? Must have a reason, right ?!! Perhaps somebody paid for it ???
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

^yes I've heard that non removable battery is for tracking.

More probably to prevent upgrades without going to a service centre, to promote upselling to a new model.

Or reduce maintenance for bad contacts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic