New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Although there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission, nearly three dozen people in China have fallen ill due to a newly identified virus from the same family as the deadly Nipah and Hendra viruses.

An early detection system for febrile people in eastern China who have recently been in contact with animals led to the discovery of the virus, which has been given the name Langya henipavirus (LayV). Many of the patients, who were primarily farmers, also experienced blood-cell abnormalities and signs of liver and kidney damage in addition to the more common symptoms of fatigue, cough, loss of appetite, and aches. Everyone infected has survived so far.

According to the study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, 26 of the 35 patients were infected with LayV and nothing else. The researchers concluded that human infection may be sporadic because there was no evidence of close contact or a shared history of exposure. Shrews were found to be infected with the virus at a rate of 27%, and since they are a known vector for other henipaviruses, it is possible that these small, furry mole-like mammals serve as a natural reservoir.

The researchers from Beijing, Singapore, and Australia agree that more study is required to fully comprehend the infection. The Taiwanese CDC acknowledged receipt of the report and indicated that it would begin conducting virus screenings.

More than six out of every ten human infectious diseases are transmitted from animals to humans, a phenomenon known as zoonosis, according to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In most cases, their disease impact is minimal, and they quickly die out. However, more tracking systems are now in place and detecting novel pathogens in the wake of Covid-19.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

Post by Doc67 »

Although there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission,

That sounds familiar...

And don't forget, an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

Post by Alex »

Gawd, not another one.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I keep saying let Darwinism take its course.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:57 am Gawd, not another one.

Pre-Covid I used to be like "ah, it'll blow over", having been in Vietnam during SARS, bird flu, swine flu, whatever. Now, I am a lot more concerned.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

hanno wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:29 am
Alex wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:57 am Gawd, not another one.

Pre-Covid I used to be like "ah, it'll blow over", having been in Vietnam during SARS, bird flu, swine flu, whatever. Now, I am a lot more concerned.
We'll probably be ok as long as the WHO, or any prominent scientist doesn't try to tell people what will spread the virus and how it can be avoided. If they do try to do that about 30% of the world's population will declare it's their right to have a nest of shrews living in their kitchen, shitting everywhere and that they can take their diseased rodents to restaurants and shopping with them if they want to. And then they'll do exactly that to demonstrate how free they are.
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

Why they just can be satisfied crashing their their cars to whatever, and stop spreading these god damn viruses?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Why though? Why, since Covid at the start of 2020, have new viruses dominated the news agenda? Is the world really becoming more and more infected with new viruses, or is it more the case that news outlets learned a valuable lesson through Covid that new virus stories are the geese that lay the golden eggs? Everyone is now fascinated with new virus stories, no matter how 'deadly' or serious they are (or have the potential to be) and they create more clickbait than any other news based topics.

My guess is that the world has always seen new viruses and variants of new viruses, but before Covid, but nobody really gave a shit about them, except the odd exceptions such as Ebola, Bird Flu and Mad Cow Disease etc...

I accept that Covid was something to be worried about but as for the others since then, I won't be holding my breath....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:09 pm … a valuable lesson through Covid that new virus stories are the geese that lay the golden eggs?
Everyone is now morbidly fascinated with new virus stories

My guess is that the world has always seen new viruses and variants of new viruses, but before Covid, but nobody really gave a shit about them, except the odd exceptions such as Ebola, Bird Flu and Mad Cow Disease etc...

I accept that Covid was something to be worried about but as for the others since then, I won't be holding my breath....
The new bogeyman. We’ve effectively debunked the old myths and legends, except in places like the KoW. Maybe humans need something feeding the fear at the back of the conscience?

As for holding one’s breath, maybe the LayV-COVID* strain will do that for us…

*you heard it here, first!
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

xandreu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:09 pm Why though? Why, since Covid at the start of 2020, have new viruses dominated the news agenda? Is the world really becoming more and more infected with new viruses, or is it more the case that news outlets learned a valuable lesson through Covid that new virus stories are the geese that lay the golden eggs? Everyone is now fascinated with new virus stories, no matter how 'deadly' or serious they are (or have the potential to be) and they create more clickbait than any other news based topics.

I think part of it is that we notice more now as a result of covid. There were always stories about viruses but they stopped when the viruses didn't take off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic