Looking Back

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Looking Back

Post by mikeukt »

This posting came about after looking at several old posts which talked about places I used to know.

First off, The Rising Sun (closed). I was another of those who used to go there but hadn’t done so for a long time. I noticed no one seemed to remember the actual original owner, an English guy called Ian (pretty sure that was his name). It was his idea and his baby, told me he used to get up and go to the markets very early morning to buy the food. I’m pretty sure the next owner, Clive, was a regular customer before he bought Ian out and Clive’s misses had been the Sun’s cook. At least, that’s how I remember it.
Ian was a good guy. He was responsible for the Brit themed photos (I particularly liked the Minder pics).

I had first come across it coz it was just round the corner from my earliest fav riverside hangout, The Pink Elephant, a pub/bar also run by a Brit, Dave. An interesting place with some interesting regulars. Pretty sure one of them was Snow, who later opened his own place across the river. Some of the regulars from that time headed down there during the weekend coup of 97 to drink beer to the distant sound of shot n shell and after had a little Plaque kinda thing hung on the wall “The Coup Club” Dave, like Ian, was a low-key kinda guy but always welcoming and good for a chat. He died on premises, but not in the bar, in his bedroom. Then it fell into the hands of his Khmer barman/dishwasher Vi. Never was the same. A final note, more recently some may remember Kandal House on the riverside near Kandal market. It was a good place, run by Pon, who had also been a Pink Elephant staffer.

Enough for now, more to come if I get round to it.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Looking Back

Post by mikeukt »

To continue
Part 2
I got to admit this is just me reminiscing about my early days here which were the tail end of the 1990s, so maybe not for everyone now.
Like the first part talking about the Rising Sun, thought about this when I saw something on here about the Atlanta Hotel, Bangkok. But my story comes back to the classic book, Off The Rails in PP.
Background: I’d started staying in the Atlanta after moving upmarket from Khaosan Road. (Some stories there too). The posts I’d read said No Hookers, but I remember they did allow overnight guests, but you paid 100B and the girl had to give her ID card. Once late on when the overnight reception staff were inattentive, I sneaked in a girl I’d taken back before, no 100B, no ID card. Next morning as she was pocketing her 500B she smiled and said she might go down, ask for her ID and start screaming when they couldn’t find it. She didn’t, but I liked her style!.

Now the PP angle. At one time The Atlanta did a promo naming the authors who’d written books there, one was AG, Amit Galboa, author of Off The rails In ….. I was in PP when it came out and knew many of the characters described in the English teachers being wild bit. They weren’t hard to spot, being very open about their lifestyles. They enjoyed the book and were happy to see their sexploits in print. But one thing they all agreed on was one story attributed to one of them, namely teen hooker bouncing up and down on a happy guy while someone took picture, was actually him AG getting the service. Next day the guy who’d been taking the action pictures discovered someone had removed the film roll from the camera. Conclusion, well 2+2=?

There you go. Does anyone know what happened to those characters? One died in Siem Reap, but the others?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Looking Back

Post by Username Taken »

You can do Googles searches for the following:
bart siem reap
betterridge siem reap
cleghorn siem reap

Plenty to read.
Never met any of them.

Next, you can tell us about bald-headed Irishmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic