Whatever became of Bert's Books?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Whatever became of Bert's Books?

Post by mammothboy2 »

Where was the place? On the riverside in Phnom Penh, yes?

It closed because Bert was enraged about something the government said or did, right?

What became of Bert?
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: Whatever became of Bert's Books?

Post by mammothboy2 »

Nearly 2 decades now:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/d ... ts-retreat

One understands the fury BUT the standard of living of well over 95% of the Cambodian people
is far higher now than it was then ...

Anyway, does anyone here remember Bert?
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

[b] This is the salient part of the PPP report:

Passionate as he is about the shortcomings of Cambodia's elite, Bert is also highly

critical of the so-called "humanitarians" who, he says, have pursued their

own interests to the detriment of effective change.

"The reality is donors have given Cambodia more than $5 billion in the past

five years, and every dollar we've put in has freed up money for Cambodia's elite

to buy more cognac or another Mercedes. We build roads so people can get to market

and...those roads are destroyed by log trucks...

"Is Cambodia now a better place? No it is not - human rights, pluralism, personal

freedoms, that's all just gone down the drain.

"But you know what? Optimism is commensurate with salaries and the sort of colonial

lifestyle Westerners can enjoy here which they could never enjoy at home.

"After the Easter Sunday grenade attack we circulated a petition condemning

the violence. Out of 6,000 foreign workers we got just 700 signatures and 200 of

them were collected here at Bert's Books. I wonder how much of that pathetic protest

was due to fear of losing salaries, fear of losing a lavish lifestyle and fear of

losing careers."[/b]
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Whatever became of Bert's Books?

Post by General Mackevili »

mammothboy2 wrote:
Anyway, does anyone here remember Bert?
I never knew him, nor his books. Bor's books I remember and miss.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Yes, I knew Bert, even before the bookstore. Bert's was where the riverfront Sundance is now. Bert, who always had rather strong political opinions, became particularly disenchanted after the Bloody Sunday grenade attack, and closed Bert's in mid/late 1997 IIRC and moved back to Alaska with his family. (He took some pretty impressive photos of the aftermath of the attack.) I ran across him once here back in Cambodia 3 or 4 years ago at Hurley's. But I don't think he stayed long. I understand he's had a rough go of it in recent years.

"Always carry a book. You won't look so damn stupid" was the slogan.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I thought it was on the corner of 102, the little shop that the Thai lady ran. I know I bought a few books from Bohs that had a stamp inside the cover from Bert's Books. What about that Ray Zepp LTO? I had a couple of his books and I think they had the Bert's stamp inside.
You must of known him and why was he controversial?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Bert's had the tree in front. That's how I used to idenify where to stop. Later it became Tico Guesthouse, later still, Cali 2.

I haven't seen Ray in a couple few years. Last time I saw him was at the Riverside Balcony in Battambang. He was living up Pailin way I think. I don't know if he is still here. Was Ray controversial? Like Bert he wrote at couple papers on the NGO situation, as well as several travelogues/guides, as you mention. He too had some strong opinions about how to help Cambodia, but I don't know about controversy.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

79 Sisowath Quay. Same address as Cali 2.
LTO Cambodia Blog

LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

'Thoughts on Foreign Aid' by Bert Hoak and Ray Zepp
http://www.mekong.net/cambodia/aid_ess.htm
LTO Cambodia Blog

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

LTO wrote:Image
79 Sisowath Quay. Same address as Cali 2.

Quick,, someone get some tee shirts printed with CEO Forum on.. In 20 years time, someone might be asking about CEO Forum.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic