Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1603
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 467

Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am

Moved from a different topic ...
Isaanbarang wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:30 am
Isaanbarang wrote:Firstly we all should be glad that the inanamite object was not his trusty 1911 Smith and Wesson
A person on drugs should not be allowed to have a gun. A person with mental issues should not be allowed to have a gun. Those people with those issues carrying firearms are criminals.

A firearm should only be drawn in a situation where death or bodily injury injury will happen to the person or a loved one. And only enough force should be used to stop such an attack. Otherwise it’s murder or manslaughter.

The media never keeps track whenever a firearm is used to prevent crime from happening. It doesn’t fit the politically correct agenda.
Then I strongly urge you to contact your Republican Congressman or Senator and express your disgust that President Trump refuses to endorse universal background checks for gun ownership. Other initiatives president will not support: a gun registry, gun confiscation, a mandatory buyback policy, a ban on high capacity magazines, taxes or regulatory impediments to the purchase of ammunition and a ban on any class of weapon, particularly an assault weapons ban. The source called all of the above "way out of bounds" for the president.

Perhaps just voting Democrat would be easier, there is no logical reason for using an assault rifle to protect oneself unless of course you are being attacked by an infantry division.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1603
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 467

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:43 am

Sorry, I should have named the topic as
‘Man with assault rifle stops infantry division’

I learn something new on CEO everyday.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 2688
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 593
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by pczz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 am

I love the idea of taxing weapons. then only rich spaced out/crazy/drunk rockstars and bankers and poor spaced outwill be able to kill people and spaced out/crazy/drunk poor people will be stopped. Sounds democratic to me
User avatar
Spigzy
Expatriate
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Reputation: 521
Great Britain

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by Spigzy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes, a move back to the times before guns and there was world peace would be very welcome!!
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
BR549
Expatriate
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Reputation: 111
United States of America

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by BR549 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Inanimate object in question was the abandoned tuk tuk....not the knife.. Or trusty 1911..45 ACP. joked about.
Banning drugs and alcohol has really been effective throughout history. Oh, it created organized crime.
The term assault rifle is only used by people who know nothing about rifles.
When the bad guy comes and he has a rifle with a 30 round mag it is far better for the good guy to have a weapon of equal firepower.
Police or civilians carrying snub nosed .38s and being confronted by maniacs with AK-47s or AR-15s have little chance at survival.
The universal background check is for LEGAL PURCHASES...DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?
I have never been convicted of a felony and can present my valid driver's license and within 5 minutes pass the universal background check and pay for my firearm. Do you grasp that criminals and convicted felons DO NOT PURCHASE FIREARMS this way?
They buy them on the street. The sucker their wife or girlfriend to buy them. They steal them. They kill their mother and take hers like the Sandy Hook maniac.
Chicago has very strict gun laws. Yet, it has thousands of shootings a year and hundreds of murders. These are not committed by people who passed a background check and legally purchased a weapon.
Now, you want it so a pissed off gf or ex-wife or neighbor can just put out a red flag on you?
Check out the tv series The Badlands.
Soma to a coma ...You all want A Brave New World.
The Samurai from Japan banned weapons on the Ryu Kyu Islands.. The natives adapted.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 10019
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 1657
Tokelau

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Spigzy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Yes, a move back to the times before guns and there was world peace would be very welcome!!
:D
Lol, point taken, but the thing is, in the times when you had to attack your enemy with a club or a sword, the killing was mano a mano. Each time you go to kill a person, you knew you could get killed. The problem with guns and bombs is that it's killing at distance, which makes it much easier to kill people, both physically and psychologically.

But anyway, the discussion is pointless, because living with guns and living without any guns at all are totally opposed mindsets. We cannot agree.
When I was a kid, I used to play with guns, but now that I'm a big person, I just use a baseball bat. :stir: (That was a joke btw.)
sklmeera
Expatriate
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 pm
Reputation: 4
Bhutan

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by sklmeera » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:29 pm

in the times when you had to attack your enemy with a club or a sword, the killing was mano a mano. Each time you go to kill a person, you knew you could get killed. The problem with guns and bombs is that it's killing at distance, which makes it much easier to kill people, both physically and psychologically.

But anyway, the discussion is pointless, because living with guns and living without any guns at all are totally opposed mindsets. We cannot agree.

Well said .
User avatar
Spigzy
Expatriate
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Reputation: 521
Great Britain

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by Spigzy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Spigzy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Yes, a move back to the times before guns and there was world peace would be very welcome!!
:D
Lol, point taken, but the thing is, in the times when you had to attack your enemy with a club or a sword, the killing was mano a mano. Each time you go to kill a person, you knew you could get killed. The problem with guns and bombs is that it's killing at distance, which makes it much easier to kill people, both physically and psychologically.

But anyway, the discussion is pointless, because living with guns and living without any guns at all are totally opposed mindsets. We cannot agree.
When I was a kid, I used to play with guns, but now that I'm a big person, I just use a baseball bat. :stir: (That was a joke btw.)
Matrix wrote:Come on, Bennett, throw away that chicken-shit gun. You don't just want to pull a trigger. Put the knife in me and look me in the eye and see what's going on in there when you turn it.
:rambo:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1603
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 467

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by newkidontheblock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:57 am

Back on topic.

The original poster believed that if everyone was a Democrat (ie a member of the Democrat political party) the world would be instantly safe.

His issues were that there were no comprehensive background checks. Currently, people who buy guns are checked through the FBI. Many organizations do to share info with the FBI. Background checks such as those in California and New York include psychiatric evaluations, letters from the local police chief, mayor, and whatever hoops the state deems. He also bemoaned that there wasn’t a national gun registry. New York has a gun registry. And guess what? That registry was given to left winger who then promptly published it in the local paper. Now ever criminal and kook knows the name of every person, and where they live and who has a gun in their home. The more control, the more abuse of that control.

Gun ownership is a right in the Bill of Rights, part of the US Constitution, same as freedom of speech, religion, etc. The Constitution was written because the founders feared a big, intrusive government would stomp all over its citizens.

It wasn’t that long along ago that the government was forcing gun shops to sell automatic weapons to known gang members.

None of the gun grabbing schemes has ever been proven to prevent criminals from committing crimes. Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Be it carting off the armory of LA SWAT or other deeds.

What has been proven is responsible gun owners stopping a mass killing in a Texas church by shooting the murderer in the head.

Everyone should have the right to not carry gun. Just like everyone should have to right to not practice their religion. Or the right not to speak their mind. But please don’t deprive others of those rights as well.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 10010
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2111
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Let’s ban all guns and have world peace ...

Post by phuketrichard » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:41 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:57 am
Back on topic.

The original poster believed that if everyone was a Democrat (ie a member of the Democrat political party) the world would be instantly safe.

His issues were that there were no comprehensive background checks. Currently, people who buy guns are checked through the FBI. Many organizations do to share info with the FBI. Background checks such as those in California and New York include psychiatric evaluations, letters from the local police chief, mayor, and whatever hoops the state deems. He also bemoaned that there wasn’t a national gun registry. New York has a gun registry. And guess what? That registry was given to left winger who then promptly published it in the local paper. Now ever criminal and kook knows the name of every person, and where they live and who has a gun in their home. The more control, the more abuse of that control.

Gun ownership is a right in the Bill of Rights, part of the US Constitution, same as freedom of speech, religion, etc. The Constitution was written because the founders feared a big, intrusive government would stomp all over its citizens.

It wasn’t that long along ago that the government was forcing gun shops to sell automatic weapons to known gang members.

None of the gun grabbing schemes has ever been proven to prevent criminals from committing crimes. Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Be it carting off the armory of LA SWAT or other deeds.

What has been proven is responsible gun owners stopping a mass killing in a Texas church by shooting the murderer in the head.

Everyone should have the right to not carry gun. Just like everyone should have to right to not practice their religion. Or the right not to speak their mind. But please don’t deprive others of those rights as well.
1.criminals dont do background checks,
2. anyone can buy at a gun show...no background check...HUGE loophole
3. many of the shootings involving kids, the guns were LEGALLY purchased by an adult, BUT taken by the kids from UN-locked cabinets.
It wasn’t that long along ago that the government was forcing gun shops to sell automatic weapons to known gang members.
yea , right :please:

Education is the only key
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Deefer, Freightdog, MSN [Bot], simon43, Whatsupdoc, xandreu, Yerg and 336 guests