Singing to babies

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
giblet
Expatriate

Singing to babies

Post by giblet »

The neighbor across the way sings to her baby for at least a few hours every day. However, she only sings the same three notes over and over. I am not sure if this is a Cambodian tradition or if she's just trying to punish me for the noise my geese make. Thoughts?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Singing to babies

Post by Username Taken »

giblet wrote:The neighbor across the way sings to her baby for at least a few hours every day. However, she only sings the same three notes over and over. I am not sure if this is a Cambodian tradition or if she's just trying to punish me for the noise my geese make. Thoughts?
Yes, normal to 'sing' the baby to sleep. You'll get used to it. So used to it, in fact, that soon you'll be singing it in your head while you go about your regular day to day activity.

I bet I can guess the tune she's singing. :evil:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

She is probably talking to your ducks. Quack, Quack, Quack,
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Username Taken wrote:Yes, normal to 'sing' the baby to sleep. You'll get used to it. So used to it, in fact, that soon you'll be singing it in your head while you go about your regular day to day activity.

I bet I can guess the tune she's singing. :evil:
I was thinking about getting her a songbook as a gift. It's been weeks of the same three notes over and over.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I got a fuck for a duck, a duck for a fuck, and 20 bucks for a fucked up duck.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

And over.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

giblet wrote:The neighbor across the way sings to her baby for at least a few hours every day. However, she only sings the same three notes over and over. I am not sure if this is a Cambodian tradition or if she's just trying to punish me for the noise my geese make. Thoughts?
That reminds me when my kids were young. There I was singing a goodnight lullaby to my son when he turned said his first ever words

"Dad, shut the fuck up will you I'm trying to sleep."
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Giblet, does it go like this "a-a-a-aaaaaa~a-a-aaa-a-a-aaaa" :D
More seriously, is it the same lullaby tune as the video below? (lullaby song starts at the 0:35-mark)
Ayaii Khmer Lullaby បទបំពេរ:
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

No, I wish it was that one because it's an actual song with words. She's just doing three or four notes over and over. At first I thought she was doing vocal training, but then I saw the baby. Maybe I could feed the baby to the geese.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Blimey if that's a lullaby its enough to give you nightmares
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic