GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

Post by StroppyChops »

This thread has a lot of negative comments about GoFundMe campaigns. I've personally got a GFM campaign on the go at the moment* and no doubt would come under the same fire (friendly or otherwise) if I'd posted a link here. Further, I'm fairly critical of people (usually millennials) who seek funds so they can go save the planet (aka have an overseas holiday while "voluntouring") and so I'd be fairly exposed to cries of "hypocrite" on this point, although many posters here know me IRL and know what we're about.

Curious, though - what are the various views on GFM (and similar) campaigns? Any consensus on the criteria for a good vs. bad campaign? Do those who object so vocally to GFM etc. either give or not give to charities?

I'm tempted to think that those who are so vocally against GFM etc. might just be uncharitable people, but I'm often wrong.

* No, not going to share the link here for public ridicule and dissection. There are other, easier ways to mock me. Let's talk rabbits.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

Post by StroppyChops »

I've just discovered this little gem - topic14809.html - seems to be a hot topic at the moment.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i see nothing wrong with it. ppl say- oh they should have had medical insurance - or how naive to ask ppl to start money for a business.
i wonder what they would say if they had a curable medical condition but no money?

like other things in life- if ppl don't like it they could just ignore it.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

For GFM - Worthwhile charities for the help of people and good causes, I think are reasonable. For handouts of whims and nonsense with no research for personal gains are not acceptable.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

all depends on the situation tbh
i first seen go fund mes around 2015, when 2 of my mates died (separate incidents)
and friends had started go fund me pages to raise money to help support the families due to their loss, to help pay for funeral costs plus now the main breadwinner had gone etc

now you see Go Fund Mes for people wanting money for nothing, seeing it as an easy/simple way to get cash
i come from a working class family where nothing was handed to me on a plate, so thats my viewpoint

if people can do it though and get away with it, then fair play to them
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

often it is targeted at a specific audience of friends and family - a convenient mechanism rather than a fundraising vehicle for the general population. it is not advertising per se.
it works best for specific causes.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Ok lets start a go fund me

Im off to angeles city in the philipines to drink and get whores and hand gamble my arse off.

Please fund me here .....

Worth of pineapples....
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm Ok lets start a go fund me

Im off to angeles city in the philipines to drink and get whores and hand gamble my arse off.

Worth of pineapples....
its ok, you can fuck girls for free everynight 10/10 bruh *highfive*
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm Ok lets start a go fund me

Worth of pineapples....
its ok, you can fuck girls for free everynight 10/10 bruh *highfive*
Thats in phuket
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Ok lets start a go fund me

that is my point- it is not random dumb knuckles that hand out money- what- you think they surf gfm as a shop to hand out dough LOL.
mostly the donors are ppl who know the recipient, or support the cause.
what in the hell is wrong with that.
people's noses have grown far too long today to poke into places best left alone.

now there is a gotdam bee here that is going to sting me when i catch it.
fucker is eluding my search and going to wait until 3 AM to sting me when i roll over on the cunt.

i may open a gfm account for this bullshit.

sold 20 nucleus hives this month that i made by myself for $2400

still broke LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic