Accommodation Recommendation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GeeMan
Tourist

Accommodation Recommendation

Post by GeeMan »

Greetings

So I’m in PP for 6 nights early January. This will be my 5th trip since ’05. I've stayed at a number of places in the past, including last trip at Walkabout. Prior to that I'd been travelling with my SO and so had stayed at more ‘family friendly’ establishments.

I'm booked back at Walkabout again this time, but I frequently see negative feedback here and on 440. Personally I had no real problems there; I get a good size Deluxe with Jacuzzi for $17 / night. However, I would be interested in opinions re better places for a similar price.

Key thing I'm looking for is a central location; either around the 54 area, towards the quay, or somewhere in between. Must be guest friendly should I stumble upon any ‘gems’. Want to have a balcony and good daytime light. A pool would be an awesome extra that I’d be prepared to pay extra for. I figure I'm paying 1000 baht in Thailand, so can go similar = $25 – 30 night.

Appreciate any suggestions

Cheers

GeeMan
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Re: Accommodation Recommendation

Post by badneighour »

Me Mates on street 90 has a good atmosphere and clean reasonable priced rooms. I always suggest Me Mates place to my friends.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Monsoon balcony rooms on 130. Lone Star has inward facing balconies and is a steal at $25. Le Cyclo has a room at the top with a big balcony and a hot tub just above. BJ's House has 1 bdrm apts with a huge balcony for just above your budget. Sary's House (130) has a couple pretty good balcony rooms for $25, but the bed was U-shaped & sucked big time. It's a great deal if they replaced it or you get the room I didn't stay in.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I usually stay at california2 on riverside.
my daughter likes Lucky Ro with bigger rooms and cheaper prices.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:Monsoon balcony rooms on 130. Lone Star has inward facing balconies and is a steal at $25. Le Cyclo has a room at the top with a big balcony and a hot tub just above. BJ's House has 1 bdrm apts with a huge balcony for just above your budget. Sary's House (130) has a couple pretty good balcony rooms for $25, but the bed was U-shaped & sucked big time. It's a great deal if they replaced it or you get the room I didn't stay in.
I know I'll regret asking, but what does one do with a u-shaped bed?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

StroppyChops wrote:
wackyjacky wrote:Monsoon balcony rooms on 130. Lone Star has inward facing balconies and is a steal at $25. Le Cyclo has a room at the top with a big balcony and a hot tub just above. BJ's House has 1 bdrm apts with a huge balcony for just above your budget. Sary's House (130) has a couple pretty good balcony rooms for $25, but the bed was U-shaped & sucked big time. It's a great deal if they replaced it or you get the room I didn't stay in.
I know I'll regret asking, but what does one do with a u-shaped bed?
and, I may regret asking this, but what is BJ's House's unique selling point?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

he means a banana bed like in queensland pubs.
sinks in the middle into a u shape.

not for pervy purposes, just bad quality.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Lonestar has some of the best "American" food in town. Plus, I wouldn't imagine it being too noisy down that side street at night, yet the location is right there near everything.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Have any of the places on St 172 renovated recently? For the backpacker influx over past few years? Might find some clean, great deals over there.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Oh, the U-shaped thing. It sags in the middle like a sway backed mule. You will be VERY close to your partner all night whether you like it or not. As far as BJ's House - I was quite disappointed on the BJ front, but the 1 bdrms are big and have a couple couches and a coffee table outside for partying. Nothing special with their regular rooms.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic