Modern Cambodian Houses Made Out of Lego Bricks For the Poor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Modern Cambodian Houses Made Out of Lego Bricks For the Poor

Post by General Mackevili »

A dude with no engineering, designing or construction skills comes up with a way to build brick houses with bricks that are shaped like Legos, letting people have a home on the cheap, especially for those lowly paid government workers...

Phnom Penh: PHNOM PENH: Kongngy Hav is no engineer. He is no construction expert, nor a designer.

Yet the young Cambodian is trying to indelibly shape the country’s housing sector.

Amid Cambodia’s looming housing crisis, Kongngy, 31, is becoming a force for social change through a simple idea that is slowly finding foundations.

He has developed “My Dream Home”, a program designed to provide quality, affordable green housing to those who cannot afford to buy traditional housing.

It utilises an interlocking brick system, which resembles Lego, designed to provide sturdy construction and that can be put together by people without building skills.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Modern Cambodian Houses Made Out of Lego Bricks For the Poor

Post by SinnSisamouth »

commendable.

however,both article do not mention land prices which is the biggest issue not affordable housing.

khmers will just live in a shack if they have land.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

so weird- i was on his facebook page just before clicking in here
https://www.facebook.com/mydreamhomekh/
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

General Mackevili wrote: can be put together by people without building skills.[/i]

people without building skills should not be building houses, its dangerous, and theres no way in hell someone built that house in the picture without no building skills
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

and not really cheaper than brick from what i can tell
looks a good block though
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Good on you Jamie. That is the model house, can you imagine the average house built by people with no building skills building that? But I have known about this guy for years, he is clever. But as someone else pointed out, it is land prices that is the problem.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Hardly revolutionary either as I had heard of these more than 20 years ago. A quick google confirmed my suspicions.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

LAND PRICES are horrific in any place that has a booming local economy.

There's a big new house for rent on Abacus Lane in SR for $800/mo. totally unfurnished or $220,000 as a sale price.

No garden, no pool ... location just over the lane from a beer garden with music until midnight (plus searchlights
sweeping the skies to keep zeppelins at bay,)

The owner paid $350 for every square meter on which the house and the paved parking yard stands...
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: can be put together by people without building skills.[/i]

people without building skills should not be building houses, its dangerous, and theres no way in hell someone built that house in the picture without no building skills
I know him and I visited a few houses build with that brichs
The house in the pic, if I remember correctly was built from a small construction company. He is a good guy and dont want to be reach fast, the houses build with that bricks will cost less than with clay bricks. Maybe because he want to earn just a little and the labour´s cost for the building are less.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

SinnSisamouth wrote: however,both article do not mention land prices which is the biggest issue not affordable housing.
True. But why is the land price so high? I mean Cambodia is not that small country (land-area) and population is just ~15 million. When you fly over Cambodia, it's practically empty country. But land prices are just ridiculous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic