A question of balance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

A question of balance

Post by Freightdog »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm Let's not forget.. people come to this forum primarily for information and discussion about Cambodia.

If there is too much US politics et al polluting this forum, I think it's an issue and likely to turn people away. Not just talking about this topic.

And even this topic, as sammycooke posted:
I hope humour and oddball internet crap is the best way to describe this thread. Not politics.
It's a question of balance I reckon.
As a question of balance, then, maybe it’s worth having people who demonstrate a proclivity for certain topics further demonstrate how their overall contribution is relevant to Cambodia or CEO.
The sort of folks who turn up, and have a tendency to see deep state Marxists or presidential LGBa-to-z conspiracy in every page crease, shadow or ink blot, but don’t engage in rational discussion that comes from it?
Amusing one liners are great. Random, unrelated and inexplicable references not so.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A question of balance

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Thanks for creating this dedicated topic OP as the issue might get lost on the original one.

A discussion I think the CEO community needs to have imho.

Personally, and in my role as a mod, I'm thinking of the community in a very broad sense. Regular posters, infrequent posters, members who read but don't post and even non members who like to read and follow this forum.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I to think there is a lot of America politics here, even if the topic has nothing to do with it somehow it gets turned into a, you for or against you know who.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

To my mind, it’s not really an issue that there’s a discussion about US politics- some of the issues are of interest. Yes, there is the option to simply ignore, which we can all do.
I’ve no real problem with thread drift, either. It’s just a natural thing that happens when elements of a conversation develop into another stream of thought or discussion. It’s easy enough to bring the original topic back to the fore.

But what do you do when the topic is of interest, but some fool yet again throws in a worn out but nearly predictable inference to derail the discussion, just to keep pushing their agenda? Then, when their contribution makes little sense, either fail or refuse to clarify, or start with ad hominem retorts to imply that everyone else is wrong or simply too dense to understand. It’s not thread drift. It’s bordering on puerile disruption.
Rather like that person that I’m sure we all know who has to be involved in anything that happens, yet have nothing to offer. They interject with dumb comments.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:23 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm Let's not forget.. people come to this forum primarily for information and discussion about Cambodia.

If there is too much US politics et al polluting this forum, I think it's an issue and likely to turn people away. Not just talking about this topic.

And even this topic, as sammycooke posted:
I hope humour and oddball internet crap is the best way to describe this thread. Not politics.
It's a question of balance I reckon.
As a question of balance, then, maybe it’s worth having people who demonstrate a proclivity for certain topics further demonstrate how their overall contribution is relevant to Cambodia or CEO.
The sort of folks who turn up, and have a tendency to see deep state Marxists or presidential LGBa-to-z conspiracy in every page crease, shadow or ink blot, but don’t engage in rational discussion that comes from it?
Amusing one liners are great. Random, unrelated and inexplicable references not so.
LETS GO BRANDON!

:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Can't we just have a "US Politics - Freedom of Speech" thread somewhere? When the mods spot one of the nutters derailing a thread, just move their post to the U.S. Politics dumping ground.

Make it a pure freedom of speech thread, anything goes. It might be fun to see what they come up with, without the mods clipping their wings. And everyone knows that they enter at their own risk.

You'll have to put it in the Darknet section!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:22 am Can't we just have a "US Politics - Freedom of Speech" thread somewhere? When the mods spot one of the nutters derailing a thread, just move their post to the U.S. Politics dumping ground.

Make it a pure freedom of speech thread, anything goes. It might be fun to see what they come up with, without the mods clipping their wings. And everyone knows that they enter at their own risk.

Most American politics belong in the Asinine section.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

A politics dumping ground would make sense not just for the US, but the UK & for the Aussies, etc. I for sure couldn't give a monkeys whether folks are talking about Truss or Starmer, there's more culture in a 136 bar stool.

We could put all the school teacher posts into a Marxist/Communist thread where the merits of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot can be discussed too.

If you're doing a spring clean, maybe a new thread on "Cambodia isn't as good as Thailand, but here I am!" which could be used to collect an awful lot of material from just one poster for starters! <3
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

So if we are talking about balance - what can we do to encourage more women posters?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:30 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:22 am Can't we just have a "US Politics - Freedom of Speech" thread somewhere? When the mods spot one of the nutters derailing a thread, just move their post to the U.S. Politics dumping ground.

Most American politics belong in the Asinine section.
Topics too instead of 'Rest of the world? :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic