Cambodian man disarms a live mine [VIDEO]

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Cambodian man disarms a live mine [VIDEO]

Post by OrangeDragon »

Seriously... this seems a little... haphazard doesn't it? I mean one guy was going at it with a fucking hatchet.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian man disarms a live mine [VIDEO]

Post by Joon »

The comments on the Youtube video are actually more fascinating than the clip itself.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

That’s Aka Rai who is a bit of a maverick. He claims he's a child solder and makes money from taking tourists to landmine sites where he shows them how to de-mine. He is dangerous and has been told to stop doing this many many times by CMAC, RCAF and the RCG.

Personally its a fake as the mine has not been armed first but its still a real mine with real explosives and can make a real fucking mess if he fucks it up.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Explosives ( both main charge and detonators) can get very unstable with time. I do not think that is a very good way to deal with them. Why not just burn them ? or do then intend to recycle that parts?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

EdinWigan wrote:Explosives ( both main charge and detonators) can get very unstable with time. I do not think that is a very good way to deal with them. Why not just burn them ? or do then intend to recycle that parts?

You know, that's sort of my thoughts on the whole disposal issue. Fire. The high explosives won't go off from it, but it should be enough to trigger the fuse. And even if it doesn't they will still burn pretty significantly and no longer be a threat.

I guess one issue is getting it into the fire without it going off first.

But depending on the explosives used in it, you can be quite right. Those are RDX/TNT filled PMN-2 mines. Comp B burns without exploding... and they have a plastic casing. Seems like fire would be the stuff if you can get it in the fire without it going off in the process.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Wasn't that Akira dude who received CNN 2010 Hero Award got busted for fabricating his story in his line of work (diffusing landmines)? I swear I read it somewhere a year or so ago.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic