Aircon Inverters

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Aircon Inverters

Post by thePeck »

Now it's probably due to the lack of rain in PP and other things but I was wondering about the aircons with inverters.

I previously bought a voltage regulator because the aircons wouldn't work due to the low voltage at night. Well now that isn't working now. The voltage is dropping so low that the regulator can't work and the aircons are blowing hot again. I know the inverters are supposed to save you money as well but am I right in assuming that they operate at 110v with 220v incoming? So they use less power and is the power drops below it doesn't matter to the aircon. Right?

I don't mind being hot during the day and while I'm working but when I sleep it's one of my enormous pet peeves to be sweating in bed without doing extracurricular actives lol.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aircon Inverters

Post by beaker »

The typical inverters run on DC and supply AC.
A transformer would give 110v from 200v, or what have you, we use one on our refrigerator and it works well and no problem as the input voltage had a wide range and keeps output at a constant 110v.
An inverter air conditioner has a compressor that is capable of switching off and on as needed conventional air conditioners have compressors that always run and use more power.
We use a small Panasonic inverter air conditioner and it runs all night without a problem. I have hung a thick thermal blanket up to block half the room off making it 4x3 meters instead of 4x6 to save on power. We use it every night costs an extra $20-$25 a month.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Thanks for that Beaker. So the unit inside is the only thing that runs from the lower voltage. The compressor still runs on the standard or does it run through the unit? I'm just curious if it would solve the problem.

I don't know but what it sounds like is I might need to remove them from the regulator as sometimes it drops too low to properly run it seems.

Oh and sorry for a long response, I've been lazy.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

No they both run on the same voltage. Your normal house current just users less over all as the compressor cycles on and off.

On our Panasonic model you can also just run the one fan, the outside one, for a quieter sound and less overall power use and cost.
We are comfortable at the highest temp setting, 30°C and the single fan on lowest fan speed setting of 1.
I don't need it icy cold just like it not to be hot for sleeping.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

I may just be thinking about it wrong.

My intent is to be able to use it with lower voltage due to fluctuations. Right now I'm looking at my voltage regulator meter and the incoming is dropping to 150v but hovers a lot at 190-200v.

So it the aircon runs on 110v but has a transformer to reduce the incoming 220v and the inverter goes AC->DC. Am I right?

Actually while writing this it could be a problem due to the existing non-inverter compressors. During normal use the amps stay very low, once the voltage drops the amps shoot up. I haven't seen really how high since the needle swings widely at that time but the regulator does have a 25amp fuse that will interrupt the power and the compressors kick off and the amp return to normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic