how would Cambodia be affected by another North Korean war?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

how would Cambodia be affected by another North Korean war?

Post by obelisks »

the war drums beat louder every day.
One immediate effect I could foresee early in a war would be a dramatic shortage of fuel in Cambodia particularly if Iran(an ally of North Korea) becomes involved and carries out its long-standing threat to close the Strait of Hormuz through which on average, 14 crude oil tankers pass through each day carrying an estimated 17 million barrels which is more than a third of the world’s seaborne oil.

Former hedge fund manager Martin Armstrong, who is an expert on economic and political cycles, says, “You have to understand what makes war even take place? It does not unfold when everybody is fat and happy. Simple as that. You turn the economy down, and that’s when you get war. It’s the way politics works.”
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/i ... l_04192017
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: how would Cambodia be affected by another North Korean war?

Post by frank lee bent »

fallout depending on weather pattern.
if shooting starts there it will be nuclear
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

nothing will happen

its just Willy waving
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:31 pm fallout depending on weather pattern.

I am not sure about that. Most of N. Korea's missiles seem to fail spectacularly (like this morning). And if it came to a war, they might not even have time to get the missiles out of their silos/bunkers.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:31 pm fallout depending on weather pattern.

I am not sure about that. Most of N. Korea's missiles seem to fail spectacularly (like this morning). And if it came to a war, they might not even have time to get the missiles out of their silos/bunkers.
What about the others that don't fail and are not reported so spectacularly. Unlikely war will happen, North Koreans did not intend one in decades and Trump begins to learn about the Asian mentality. While the Chinese do him diplomatic lipservice, they are not interested in some foreign military force being their new neighbour. Unless the US wants China to be their latest new enemy, not much will happen.
As for economy being the reason for war, that should tell us a lot about the US economy as they are the only triggerhappy ones in the race.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Nobody is going to nuke a load of starving peasants. Here, look we've made your lives better. There's obviously a new internal power struggle in NK. Their equipment is shit, it can't survive a war.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I figure the frequent power outages may not be so inconvenient at night - everything will be glowing. :shock:
You could be next.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:16 pm Nobody is going to nuke a load of starving peasants. Here, look we've made your lives better. There's obviously a new internal power struggle in NK. Their equipment is shit, it can't survive a war.
I won't get into the politics of it all, since my views as an American are irrelevant, although I would classify myself as more of a US basher than a US lover. I protested in 1968, and cheered at the First Gulf War. the dichotomy of life. And I am not privy to the intelligence that folks above my pay grade have.

Nevertheless, using the knowledge of have of the strategic and tactical capabilities of the US military, here is the scenario I postulate. It's all about the skies...

1. The US will quietly put its forces around the DMZ on alert. So will SK. additonal boots on the ground will begin to stage.
2. The stealth bomber fleet armed with MOPS will take off from Whitefish.
3. The B-52s will take off.
4. The Tomahawks will launch targeting missle launchers, airfields, C&C centers, power plants and the NK goverment.
4. About half an before drop time the SK govertment will sound the alert and the Seoulites will head to the shelter. So will the Japanese.
5. The stealth bombers will target the NK nuclear facilities. The B-52s will carpet the NK artillery.
6. NK will start shooting back. They got lots of guns but they are primitive. Any gun that goes off will be targeted by a wave of carrier based aircraft.
7. As soon as the first bomb drops, Badger Don will call the Chinese and invite them to invade. US forces in bulk will not enter NK more than a few miles from the DMZ.

24 hours later it will be over. Any attempt by NK troops to enter SK will be stopped by the combined air and land firepower of the US and SK. Plus they are starving, any NK that enters SK will probably be too busy looting7-11s for food, viz the German army offensive of 1918 where starving soldiers spent as much time looting food vis a vis fighting.

China will reach Pyongang swiftly and take control. Then its just mopping up and time to talk.

Thats my view, worthless as it is. It will be short, swift and brutal...for the NKs...
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic