Riverside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Riverside

Post by Duncan »

The crowds are slowly building up for the water festival and so are the amount of idiots on motorbikes that think it's ok to ride along r/side through all the people walking there. Tonight there were dozens, some with no headlight on and others with headlights on approaching you and blinding you so that you could not see where you were going. Why do they do it ? Because they can and no-one is there to tell them to fuck off onto the road, except me.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Riverside

Post by Joker Poker »

Yes, it is really irritating putting up with the morons riding along that strip.

Someone is going to get hurt there soon and I gotta say I hope it is one of the morons getting punched out and not a pedestrian getting knocked over by one of these inconsiderate fucks.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs Stroppy and I passed an accident on the overpass today, from the quick look I got I'd say a young girl had hit/been pushed into the concrete barrier and broken her neck - her friends (?) were finishing the job by sitting her up and shaking her. Too far gone to consider stopping, had to wonder if this was a result of additional stupidity on the road for the Water Festival or just the usual stupidity. Shook me up, shed a tear, needed to stop and shake it off further down the road. While I think this poor kid was clipped into the barrier by a car, it reinforced to me how much I want to smack these idiots that a) text while driving/riding or b) come out of a side street riding a moto, without looking because they're too busy texting. The girls seem to be worse for this than the guys.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Yep, I hear you Stroppy.

Two days ago I was doing my regular Riverside walk thing and I heard the familiar sound of a moto hitting the deck. Moto on the ground with a girl lying face down not moving. I wondered if she was in serious trouble as I headed a bit closer. As I approached the road there were some locals trying to move her which was quickly followed by an Australian voice shouting "don't move her".

It was drizzling with rain at the time and I wondered if I should come over and provide some shelter with my large golf umbrella for the girl and the Aussie guy that was trying to help her but there was just too much traffic and rubber neckers to cross the road. Fortunately a Khmer girl with an umbrella did the job.

She eventually started to move and much to my relief got up and the Aussie guy took her over to the adjacent footpath. I'm guessing that she was out cold for a few minutes, no helmet. Hopefully she's okay, but I would expect that she would be experiencing concussion and may be off the planet so to speak.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have seen two accidents on r/side, admittedly they were both 8 or 10 years ago when r/side was a dust bowl in the dry season and a mud bath when it rained. In both cases it was young kids making a sudden change of direction while playing and a moto hitting them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Joker Poker wrote:Yes, it is really irritating putting up with the morons riding along that strip.

Someone is going to get hurt there soon and I gotta say I hope it is one of the morons getting punched out and not a pedestrian getting knocked over by one of these inconsiderate fucks.
Start the movement. Knock one of the little dip shit's off.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Those of you with no experience of a Water Festival are advised that those coming in from the provinces will make your everyday Phnom Penh dipsticks look like driver's of the year. Many of them will never have driven in heavy traffic, won't have a clue as to traffic lights, signs or road markings. Undeterred by any of this they will drive as if back home in the village, ie expecting one and all to clear a path for them :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

But, but, but you just described the Phnom Penh locals.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

An older bong watched the wing mirror on the tuktuk as he slowly drove his moto into it yesterday, nearly ripping it off. "Sorry", he says. "Okay", I lied through gritted teeth. Can't imagine what the thought process is some times.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

StroppyChops wrote:An older bong watched the wing mirror on the tuktuk as he slowly drove his moto into it yesterday, nearly ripping it off. "Sorry", he says. "Okay", I lied through gritted teeth. Can't imagine what the thought process is some times.
Thought process as described above, when he said "Sorry" it was only to save your face, what he was thinking was "why didn't the stupid barang get out of the way". :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic