Day trips out of Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Day trips out of Phnom Penh

Post by Flexnez »

Which day or half-day trips do you take family and friends on when day are visiting Phnom Penh?

Im aware of:

1. Silk Island, cruising around the island, looking at silk weaving then enjoying a a lunch in one of the "beach" huts.
2. Visit Phnom Chisor, lunch at Tonle Bati (khmer language skills may be required),and a visit to the nearby Ta Prohm temple on the way back
3. Phnom Tamao Zoo http://phnomtamaozoo.com
4. Oudong mountain (although the the 509 steep steps to the top of the mountain may be a challenge for obese people and heavy smokers), then enjoy the roasted chicken in one of the food huts on the foot of the mountain
5. Chill out in Kirirom national park
6. Feeding frenzy at Kien Svay
7. River cruise up the Mekong river

What else would you recommend?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Day trips out of Phnom Penh

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think you've covered most bases. Maybe a bike ride around Akrek Sak?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Dude, I day trip every day here. Tripping right now. Look at my avatar. That's trippy cat, man.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

If you're a fat American like me, do not rent one of those picnic spots up top near the water in Kien Svay. I had flashbacks of breaking a stair on an outdoor deck when the girls parents showed up.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I've only done 3, 6 and 7.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Silk Island is fantastic...I have visited parts of that Island that I know no white man has seen. There is an abandoned resort called Mekong Resort at the very far end of the small Island. Kinda hard too find since their is no road leading to it. It used to be some kind of animal zoo resort. Be careful when if you do find it..its guarded by guys with machetes wearing CPP shirts.

Hitting Kendal is nice about 20-30km out and cruising. I did phnom DA and Ba phnom in a day but it was brutal on the body.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:Be careful when if you do find it..its guarded by guys with machetes wearing CPP shirts.
To which the obvious question is, "Why?"
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

Phnom Basset was cool and is about half way from PP to Oudong. So not that long a haul really. The trippy part is that on the main road right before you get there, are 2 Angkor Wat replica looking things, damn near full size, surrounded by food sellers and stalls with hammocks you can rent and order food.

The Phnom is really neat itself with a couple cool Wats and a really weird statue garden. One of the Wats has a giant reclining Buddha and next to it are the remains of the originals head. Because the original reclining Buddha was blown to smithereens by the KR and a chunk of the head was all that was left. Or so says the old codger who was tending to the place when I ambled through.

I'll dig out some pics and give a better trip report later if no one else beats me to it.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Hugh Briss,

Please do. I hear Phnom Bassett is good for mtn. bikers and offroaders too? Would like to get precise directions, if possible...
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

HotRecruiter wrote:Hugh Briss,

Please do. Would like to get precise directions, if possible...

Ahh man, come on. Half the fun was taking a wrong road that dead ended out in a rice paddy with some cud-chewing cows. All I had with me was a shitty map.

There's a big tarmac road that goes all the way there, which I finally found. I'll try to remember the turn off.

All I did was look in the distance for some phnom's that looked like they had wats on them and took a 'road' or two, ha ha, and finally got myself there. Felt a bit silly that I had blasted past this perfectly paved road that goes straight there.

Half the fun in life are the journeys, the destinations can be cool too.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic