Stuff that Scared me Shitless in Life

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Stuff that Scared me Shitless in Life

Post by Milord »

I might flesh these out later but first I'll start with a list.

Starting a Forest Fire as a kid playing with matches

Getting my Mother's car (Buick Skylark 350) stuck in the snow (away from home) when I was 13

1st motorbike ride @ 14 and going thru a cedar hedge

1st parachute jump

1st solo airplane landing

Sliding down a steep icy mountain road with no brakes (friends car)

GF telling me she was pregnant when we were 15

... let me think

When were you Scared Shitless?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Stuff that Scared me Shitless in Life

Post by frank lee bent »

running out of air under an ultra large crude carrier in murky water.
panic saved me. your legs kick real hard as you are dying.
when i got back out, i closed the valve on the bottle- took the reg of it and cracked the valve to see if anything was left.
I Swear to God, i had pulled a partial vacuum on it.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I'd love to do a parachute jump but doubt I ever will. Too Damn scary!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

frank lee bent wrote:running out of air under an ultra large crude carrier in murky water.
panic saved me. your legs kick real hard as you are dying.
when i got back out, i closed the valve on the bottle- took the reg of it and cracked the valve to see if anything was left.
I Swear to God, i had pulled a partial vacuum on it.
hehe, you're not supposed to go under 500 psi.

At the cottage my homemade "tank" was a 5 gallon bucket of air tied to a bucket of rocks with a snorkel.
To stay down I tied weights to my waist. I walked out to 20 feet deep, with the snorkel in the air bucket, when the snorkel got filled with water this time. This had worked many times.
Trying quickly get the snorkel back in the air bucket I tipped the air out. Then I tried to remove the weights
from my waist, the slip knot wouldn't budge. So, there I am standing on the lake floor looking up at the surface thinking,
this was a dumb idea, oh fuck.
I took a big jump off the bottom, with weights still attached, then, "your legs kick real hard as you are dying", grabbed a breath of air at the surface before sinking back to to bottom, this time as I'm floating down to bottom, managed to untie the weights and get back to the top.
Got scuba certified after that BS.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Digg3r wrote:I'd love to do a parachute jump but doubt I ever will. Too Damn scary!
I recommend you try it ONCE.

AFTER SCREAMING like a little girl forever it seemed, finally the chute opened and it was very pleasant.

Nah, ... take a ballon ride, nearly as dangerous I hear.
Last edited by Milord on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Good lists.

i burned my house down playing with a match , half of it saved when the neighbor came to the rescue.

Jumping out of the 2 story window sleeping with my ex when her dad came barging with an axe.

Scariest moment? A gun pointed to my temple and ready to trigger.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

flying chicken wrote:Good lists.

i burned my house down playing with a match , half of it saved when the neighbor came to the rescue.

Jumping out of the 2 story window sleeping with my ex when her dad came barging with an axe.

Scariest moment? A gun pointed to my temple and ready to trigger.
I prefer to be the one with the ONLY gun if I had a choice, which I didn't, in Afganistan, surrounded by very pissed off soldiers.

Ooh, ... that was another scared shitless moment. :facepalm:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Fire seems to be a theme around here!

My brother and I burned out a church yard, the federation-era church got scorched but cleaned up okay. We were under 10 and playing with matches, too young to have up to it. I'm not sure my brother didn't light a fire in the sawdust pits later that year, or if the tunnels we local kids dug provided air for spontaneous combustion. Those fires burned for six months or more.

Later I set the countryside on fire around the town water reservoir - this is the greatest sin a farm boy can commit in a farming town. I was pretty scared of the fire chief and the local sargeant after that, but they were pretty cool about it.

Scariest moment - violent childhood, too many to mention.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

No wonder the warning in the term "playing with matches" became common currency on the street and in public service announcements.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Being in a toilet in a remote part of Kazakhstan and punched by a drunken young gangster for no reason other than presumably being one of 2 foreigners in town. No way out. He could quite easily have knifed me and that would have been it. If it ends in Stan don't visit.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic