High season Cambodia, Thailand, etc.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

High season Cambodia, Thailand, etc.

Post by snookieboi »

It's high season for SE Asia, and in Thailand up untill April 01, that will probably mean higher prices for hotels, crowds, etc.

What about Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam?

Do hotels bump up their prices, or is this mostly a Thai thang?
More than just any old backpacker.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: High season Cambodia, Thailand, etc.

Post by hanno »

Supply and demand works pretty much everywhere. Tet next week so prices in Vietnam going through the roof, and high season everywhere else so obviously expect to pay more for accommodation and transportation.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand, high season last Nov 20th - April 15th ( Songkran is 12th-15th)
peak season Dec 21st-Jan 5th
Yes higher prices.
Although its busy here, its a lower high season than last year (30% down for the Chinese zero tourist)

Burma prices for hotels are the same just about year round ( except for Bagan and Inle lake)
Laos prices go up only around Xmas, same for Cambodia ( as well as Chinese new years and songkran)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

its going to be a ghost town in saigon :beer3: , i like it
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote:Laos prices go up only around Xmas, same for Cambodia ( as well as Chinese new years and songkran)
Not quite true, prices go up from the beginning of November until April.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:Laos prices go up only around Xmas, same for Cambodia ( as well as Chinese new years and songkran)
didn't realize they went up so early I pay the same where i stay in PP in dec or July :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote:
hanno wrote:
didn't realize they went up so early I pay the same where i stay in PP in dec or July :beer3:
Depends when in December, I guess, the first two weeks are usually quite. Also, PP is maybe a little more business people oriented than SR or Snooky.

I am involved in the room pricing of a number of hotels across Indochina so I do have a bit of an idea:-)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:
hanno wrote:
Depends when in December, I guess, the first two weeks are usually quite. Also, PP is maybe a little more business people oriented than SR or Snooky.

I am involved in the room pricing of a number of hotels across Indochina so I do have a bit of an idea:-)
yeah theres usually high/low season prices on guesthouses in SHV/PP/SR from what ive seen nov/dec-apr
where i stay in PP its a khmer owned guesthouse and they give me the local $7 rate all year round
and in SHV i have an apartment so my info might be a little out of date, but i did used to notice the cheaper low season rate espesh in SR and SHV
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Thanks guys for making that clear. I was under the impression it was mostly a Thai thing, but alas, it affects even Cambodia and Vietnam, and probably Laos.

No doubt i could bargain some deals, but with crappy exchange rates and stuff i might postpone the trip, or consider another continent.

Cheers. :beer3:
More than just any old backpacker.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

snookieboi wrote:Thanks guys for making that clear. I was under the impression it was mostly a Thai thing, but alas, it affects even Cambodia and Vietnam, and probably Laos.

No doubt i could bargain some deals, but with crappy exchange rates and stuff i might postpone the trip, or consider another continent.

Cheers. :beer3:
Yes, Laos as well and I suspect Myanmar and Malaysia too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic