Cambodia v Maylaysia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Cambodia v Maylaysia

Post by Luigi »

So who among us has lived/worked/played in Maylasia. At least for longer than a week which was my first experience.

I found the diversity in culture, food, architechture & peoples in general much to my liking. Particularly was the food diversity was far superior & priced the same. This is based on a very narrow short window. The transit system blows away anything Cambo could possibly offer by miles. The roads are as good as anyone could ask for.
Grab Car was chaeper than a motodop. Bus from KLIA2 to KL Sentral was $1.40 for me & $2.00 for my SO. Over 60 gets disco. People were very courteous in traffic, i.e. no going wrong way on street, not using footpath for moto path, letting people into traffic, allowing lane changing, NOT USING THE FUKIN HORN, & public transit super cheap & on time & efficient. Everyone appeared to be charged the same in stores, markets, restos, hotels, etc.

Saw one person living rough, not one beggar! Not one!.

Everyone was so helpful in any way possible. I did think the women folk were more inclined to stop & help me find my way. I walked a lot. A whole lot.

In closing I want to say again this is one week in one city. Kuala Lumpur. I return soon. It's so fukin clean I realized what a shit hole this place is during our cab ride back to SHV. Even my Khmer SO was saddened by the contrast. Her first time out of country other than VN border as a child.

So..please those with 1st. hand knowledge please share your view.

Thanx!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodia v Maylaysia

Post by hanno »

Booze is too expensive, food sucks once you are out of the cities, and in the East you risk getting the door kicked in by the religious police at 2 am.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Never lived there, but visit the country about two times a year. I dont think the people are more friendlier that other countries, and there are so many citizens that seem to remind me of India and Pakistan . I enjoy their food, but it appears Malaysians also enjoy their food judging by the number of overweight people,,, especially females.
They put on one of those ''tent '' style pieces of clothing and no-one can see the amount of blubber they are carrying around. The fact that Malaysians are usually short , makes them look even fatter. Or is it my Samsung wide screen TV thats creating the optical illusion.

OK,, lets blame Samsung.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

hanno wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm Booze is too expensive, food sucks once you are out of the cities, and in the East you risk getting the door kicked in by the religious police at 2 am.

Booze prices are not relacvant for me. A few brews are fine. $1.00 for Tiger, Carlsberg & a few others. Personally I think the food sucks pretty hard here in the Cambo resto section. We cook 90% home so no biggy there.

Please tell me or lead me to the religious police of the east.
That could be worrisome. Could I ask them politely to stop by for elevenses with finger sandwiches, dainty desserts?

Is this a first hand experience, something you heard, read or seen on the news?
:popcorn:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm Never lived there, but visit the country about two times a year. I dont think the people are more friendlier that other countries, and there are so many citizens that seem to remind me of India and Pakistan . I enjoy their food, but it appears Malaysians also enjoy their food judging by the number of overweight people,,, especially females.
They put on one of those ''tent '' style pieces of clothing and no-one can see the amount of blubber they are carrying around. The fact that Malaysians are usually short , makes them look even fatter. Or is it my Samsung wide screen TV thats creating the optical illusion.

OK,, lets blame Samsung.[/b

At no point in this did I imply they were more or less friendly than others.

They could wear mumus for all I care as I have my own woman.
But am in agreement with you as the women on average were a bit visually underwhelming. And yes I still like to look but no touch. Fair's fair.

So is that it? There has to be more to crack these rose tinted glasses.
Next trip will be 5 days KL then 5 days Penang & 5 days who the fuk knows.

Did I mention how clean it is. I wonder if I will find the countryside different in that regard. Any input?

Also based on my reading only their medical facilities are world class.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I quite KL but it's much more expensive to live there than here. But it's a big city in a much wealthier country so that should come as no surprise.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm
hanno wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm Booze is too expensive, food sucks once you are out of the cities, and in the East you risk getting the door kicked in by the religious police at 2 am.

Booze prices are not relacvant for me. A few brews are fine. $1.00 for Tiger, Carlsberg & a few others. Personally I think the food sucks pretty hard here in the Cambo resto section. We cook 90% home so no biggy there.

Please tell me or lead me to the religious police of the east.
That could be worrisome. Could I ask them politely to stop by for elevenses with finger sandwiches, dainty desserts?

Is this a first hand experience, something you heard, read or seen on the news?
:popcorn:
Google "Khalwat".
wanchito
Tourist
Singapore

Post by wanchito »

Couple in khalwat raid may drop second home plan

BY SIRA HABIBU

LANGKAWI: Retired American policeman Randal Barnhart, who was subjected to a 2am raid by religious enforcement officers, is reconsidering his plan to make Malaysia his second home.

“After that unpleasant episode two weeks ago, I do not feel like making Malaysia my second home. It is a pity because both my wife and I really love Langkawi,” he said.

On Oct 12, Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were in their rented condominium in Kuah when enforcement officers continuously knocked on their door at 2am, accusing them of committing khalwat (close proximity).

He said the officers demanded to see his marriage certificate, although he had told them that they were Christians and should not be subjected to Islamic law.

HAPPIER TIMES: Barnhart and his wife Carole posing for a picture during an outing. They felthumiliated by the raid by religious enforcement officers in Langkawi recently.
“We find it difficult to forget the unpleasant episode. My wife was so terrified by the incident that she fears sleeping in that condominium,” he added.

Banhart said the officers were rude and insisted on “seeing the woman” when he opened the door.

“My wife had to show herself despite only having a sarong on at that time. We felt humiliated for being treated this way,” he said.

He said he had to send his wife back to the United States on the next available flight because she feared people might return to the condominium to terrify her in the middle of the night.

She flew home on Wednesday.

“I want the religious department to apologise to me and my wife in writing,” he added.

“I also want the department to compensate the RM4,315 I had to pay for the return ticket so that my wife could go home.”

Banhart said he would be sailing to Thailand once his yacht was repaired.

State Religious and Humanity Development Committee chairman Professor Datuk Wira Dr Othman Ishak said he would investigate the matter.

“I was not aware of this case. I will ask the Religious Department head. We will get feedback from the vice-prevention squad in Langkawi before making comments,” he said.

Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid said he would check with the state Religious Department to find out what really happened.

“I was not informed about this case. I will find out what really happened before making any comment,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2 ... home-plan/
Just Another Dave
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Just Another Dave »

Can't get a decent coffee in the entire country. :(
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Just Another Dave wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:19 pm Can't get a decent coffee in the entire country. :(
\
Agreed in principle from my narrow perspective. But the crap generally served in cambo restos of scorched corn & soy is nothing to brag about. So many adulterated products claiming to be Lao, Mondulkikiri or what ever. Lots of crap passed off as coffee that ain't.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic