Things that make your teeth grind

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Things that make your teeth grind

Post by StroppyChops »

The construction workers across the road brought in a truck load of reinforcement rods this morning. They were about 15 feet longer than the bed of the truck, so the ends, hundreds of them, were dragging on the road. The sound was akin to fingernails dragging on a chalkboard, or pulling a cat backwards through razor wire.

In our language class today we learned the Khmer name for the plantain sized bananas, and finally understood the cart lady's recording of a really bored, apathetic person saying "wah waah" endlessly.

I love Bodge. And these are things that make me grind my teeth. You?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Things that make your teeth grind

Post by Joon »

The shrieking voices of Cambodian women in a fit of anger and hurling insults around.

As for the "wah waah" I have no idea what it refers to... What is it?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The house vibrating to wedding/funeral music.

Grrr...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Khmer children at play, those old enough to speak well, screaming and shrieking over some fucking boring no-toys game played with a slipper or a piece of garbage, Cambodian "adults" not telling them to keep it down (actually more of an Asia-wide, not-Japan thing).
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

The "wah waah" is actually "Naam waah", the small bananas
Using Tapatalk
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

The wedding/funeral music doesn't bother me (I actually like it) but the generators they set up to keep it all going bug me.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:The "wah waah" is actually "Naam waah", the small bananas
Aah! I see now! :D
Thanks, Mrs Stroppy.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

I can even spell it n Khmer!
Using Tapatalk
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:I can even spell it n Khmer!
Ah I hear you! It is exciting when you can start to read, and even write some words, isn't it? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We have a third floor apartment with neighbours to either side, very little acoustic barrier of any sort in the ceiling so most of what is said and done in any apartment is heard in all three. Young gun next door brought home a pretty young plaything (I assume, I never saw her) for the night and then had a very loud, very nasty shouting match with her the next morning when she refused to leave without being paid. We heard all of it, probably better than it was heard in their own apartment.

That makes me grind my teeth.

Sam, if you're reading this, kick your flatmate out, he's a bit of a prick. Also, tell him if he propositions our housekeeper again we'll need to dance a little.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic