Hands up if you never felt like unplugging those loudspeakers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Hands up if you never felt like unplugging those loudspeakers.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wow. Pretty sure that many of us have thought about doing this, but thinking is not doing...

Dutchman Faces Two Years in Prison for Unplugging an Amplifier at Buddhist Sermon in Myanmar

MANDALAY – A Dutchman charged with insulting religion in Myanmar for allegedly unplugging an amplifier blasting a late-night Buddhist sermon near his hotel is to appear in court, local officials said Friday.

Klaas Haytema, 30, was arrested last week in the city of Mandalay and has been detained while awaiting trial, a township police officer said. A hearing was scheduled for Friday, after an earlier session on Wednesday.

“We are trying hard to make sure the trial doesn’t take too long,” police officer Kyi Soe said.

Klaas Haytema,being led into the at the Maha Aungmyay Court in Mandalay Wednesday.

Haytema was staying at a hotel near a community religious hall, and a crowd gathered to protest when the loudspeakers were turned off.

The man who was reciting the sermon pressed charges against Haytema for insulting the Buddhist religion, and immigration officials have charged him with violating the terms of his visa...
http://www.chiangraitimes.com/dutchman- ... anmar.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Hands up if you never felt like unplugging those loudspeakers.

Post by hanno »

Unplugging? No. Blowing up? Taking an axe to them? Many times.

I live next to a Wat and the last two weeks have been pretty noisy. Doesn't bother me too much and at least it forces me to get up at 4 to go for my run.

Weddings on the other hand I hate.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

This Dutchman deserved his own GO FUND ME site.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'd donate $1000. What did pagodas and the locals do before the French showed up and introduced everyone to loudspeakers? It's not "tradition" if it's only a 50 years old. I can imagine weddings and funerals being considerably quieter than they are now.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I fight fire with fire, noise with noise. So far the compound I live in doesn't allow any of that BS, but I'm ready if it comes about. I do hear the Wat almost a mile away when they blast out their obnoxious chants and speech's. My favorite ammunition is a submarine dive alarm which I will claim is the religious chant of my sect. (the Sub-Mariners.)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

when they blast out their obnoxious chants and speech's.
Their country, their religion. Maybe time to leave? You know, back to Trump Land and the bible/gun belt?
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

:facepalm:

unbelievable the ignorance of some

I despair I really do
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'd donate $1000. What did pagodas and the locals do before the French showed up and introduced everyone to loudspeakers? It's not "tradition" if it's only a 50 years old. I can imagine weddings and funerals being considerably quieter than they are now.
Definitely not traditional, they did not even have electricity in those days, let alone amp's and speakers. As for weddings and funerals, it's just showing off. As, really, why does the whole neighbourhood within a radius of 500 meters have to put up with that shit !!!!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yeah well, there were no Rock n" roll concerts 50 years ago either, nor much traffic noise......
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

hanno wrote:Yeah well, there were no Rock n" roll concerts 50 years ago either, nor much traffic noise......
WTF are you talking about? No rock concerts in 1960? 1950's. Gimmee a break! There were these guys you see. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, there may have been a couple others. :please:

Or if you are only speaking of Cambodia's rock concert venues I'm not sure they have had one yet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic