English slang in use in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HighwayBomber
Tourist

English slang in use in Cambodia

Post by HighwayBomber »

Who decided that Sihanoukville can be referred to as "Snooky" ? I don't write this to insult a certain group, which seems to use it frequently, I ask about its historical origins.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: English slang in use in Cambodia

Post by bolueeleh »

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Check with those who update the OECD

* Snookyille, Shitville [etc.] References to Sihanoukville / Kompong Som,a Cambodian seaport and resort

Check out the OECD entries for words like *fuck* and *cunt* and *fisting* and *cottaging*
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

HighwayBomber wrote:Who decided that Sihanoukville can be referred to as "Snooky" ? I don't write this to insult a certain group, which seems to use it frequently, I ask about its historical origins.
Norodom Sihanouk was referred to as "Snooky" by diplomats in the early 1960s (not to his face), according to Kenton J. Clymer in his 2 volume study of US/Cambodian relations.
Last edited by John Bingham on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

John Bingham wrote:
HighwayBomber wrote:Who decided that Sihanoukville can be referred to as "Snooky" ? I don't write this to insult a certain group, which seems to use it frequently, I ask about its historical origins.
N orodom Sihanouk was referred to as "Snooky" by diplomats in the early 1960s (not to his face), according to Kenneth Clymes.
And jersey shore also names snooky after his majesty .

Just not to her face.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jersey Shore is about your level of ignorance.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic