Land Foreclosure - How Done?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Otis
Expatriate

Land Foreclosure - How Done?

Post by Otis »

My friend in the boonies says that if you take out a loan, say for $1k, from a bank or micro, put your land for security and you don't pay, the lender can simply post some kind of sign or notice on the land and take it or sell it privately to a 3rd party.

So if the land is worth substantially more than $1k, the borrower gets nothing from the sale. And there is no way for buyers to competitively bid for the land.

Is this correct?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Land Foreclosure - How Done?

Post by Duncan »

Otis wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 am My friend in the boonies says that if you take out a loan, say for $1k, from a bank or micro, put your land for security and you don't pay, the lender can simply post some kind of sign or notice on the land and take it or sell it privately to a 3rd party.

So if the land is worth substantially more than $1k, the borrower gets nothing from the sale. And there is no way for buyers to competitively bid for the land.

Is this correct?
Well if your friend knows anything about loans,, he would also point out that if you cannot save $1k in the leadup to wanting this money,,, then one has no hope of saving money to pay back the $1k ,, plus interest..

Morel of the story is DONT BORROW MONEY.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

legally the MFI have to produce the following documents, loan agreement, payment schedule (that shows loaner behind in payments) and letter to foreclose property. The correct procedure is to go commune then province municipality then finally court to obtain foreclose warrant, but.....

knowing the loaner would not have any means to fight back, just give the local municipality some tea money and you can ahead with the foreclosure.

i have never done any foreclosure before (thankfully wont need need to) but usually the threat of foreclosure is enough to get anyone back on track, usually they would just go to another MFI to get another loan to cover it back
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Thanks bolueeleh for the briefing about the procedure.

Specifically, if the land is worth substantially more than the amount of the loan plus accumulated interest, does the bank have to give the defaulting borrower the overage? Is there a law saying that the bank has to sell the land at something like public auction? Or can the bank just keep all the excess value and the borrower gets nothing from any sale or forced conveyance?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Otis wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 am Thanks bolueeleh for the briefing about the procedure.

Specifically, if the land is worth substantially more than the amount of the loan plus accumulated interest, does the bank have to give the defaulting borrower the overage? Is there a law saying that the bank has to sell the land at something like public auction? Or can the bank just keep all the excess value and the borrower gets nothing from any sale or forced conveyance?
i think you already know the answer to this question, bank will never disclose or be honest enough to disclose the real transacted price, if i were the "manager" of that case, i would ask my "trustee" to buy that land at super discounted price and sell it off later for a good profit, that is, if it were up to me. :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:09 pm
Otis wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 am Thanks bolueeleh for the briefing about the procedure.

i think you already know the answer to this question, bank will never disclose or be honest enough to disclose the real transacted price, if i were the "manager" of that case, i would ask my "trustee" to buy that land at super discounted price and sell it off later for a good profit, that is, if it were up to me. :beer3:
MORE ON THIS

Is there anything like an publicly held foreclosure auction or other open bidding process?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

More hearsay and speculation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic