Return ticket out of Cambodia.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Australia

Return ticket out of Cambodia.

Post by aussieexpat1068 »

Hi all.

This question doesn't appear to be a Cambodian immigration stipulation but from what I can gather more an airline issue.

Has anyone suffered the "return ticket" out of Cambodia when boarding their flight to either Phnom Penh or Siam Reap? If so could you please tell me what airlines you have had to face this problem with?

My post is not meant to be a name and shame but rather just for general knowledge.

Getting some great info from the forum so far so thanks for the replies.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Return ticket out of Cambodia.

Post by Joon »

I have no idea what it refers to... Can you be more explicit or can someone else explain?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I think the OP is talking about the fact that some airlines require you to have a return ticket when flying into Cambodia, I flew into PP only once on a one way ticket, no questions asked.
I once flew from Amsterdam to Bangkok and had to sign a form stating that the consequences of not having a return ticket were mine.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

An international law for airlines (not immigration) to enforce - some do, some don't.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

More and more do. Malaysia Airlines always do and forced a friend to buy a ticket out of the country before they'd let him check in.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

And there's the critical part, I believe. Airlines that give the time and energy to securing an upsell!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

aussieexpat1068 wrote:Hi all.

This question doesn't appear to be a Cambodian immigration stipulation but from what I can gather more an airline issue.

Has anyone suffered the "return ticket" out of Cambodia when boarding their flight to either Phnom Penh or Siam Reap? If so could you please tell me what airlines you have had to face this problem with?

My post is not meant to be a name and shame but rather just for general knowledge.

Getting some great info from the forum so far so thanks for the replies.
I understand- You should have proof of onward travel. When moving here, I didn't get a tourist visa or anything in my home country's Cambodian Embassy. I knew how easy it was to get one at the airport when I landed. That being said, on my one way ticket from LAX to PP, the lady working for China Eastern Air at LAX airport did indeed ask me for proof of onward travel. Not being a stupid traveler, I had purchased a 60$ AirAsia round trip ticket from PP to KL for 29 days after my arrival. I showed her and she really looked it over and was satisfied. Wasn't a bitch about it, just doing her job.

When I flew to Bangkok from LAX in 2012 with EVA Air on a one way ticket. The very young EVA check in lady saw my one way ticket, kind of raised her eyebrow and asked me " How long do you plan to stay in Thailand" ...I knew she wanted some number that was under "30 days" so I just said " 28 days then I am taking the bus to Cambodia" she said okay and off I went.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Immigration in Cambodia don't require you to have an outward bound ticket,( I believe). The major issue is that if you get refused entry for some reason, it is up to the airline to fly you back, possibly at their own cost if you don't have the funds to pay for the ticket. So it's the airlines trying to (understandably) cover their arses. Having said that, I've only ever been asked once and that was about 3 years ago at Coolangatta airport on an Air Asia flight. Once I showed the girl my old visa''s and explained that Cambodia don't require an onward ticket, she checked with her supervisor and 10 minutes later all was good.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Another option is to book a bus ticket online at http://www.giantibis.com/ to Vietnam. It's only like $10-15 and you're covered. You may even be able to get a refund or sell it to someone else once you get here... or just use it for a nice holiday. Ho Chi Minh is a fun little town for a couple of days.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

aussieexpat1068 wrote:Has anyone suffered the "return ticket" out of Cambodia when boarding their flight to either Phnom Penh or Siam Reap? If so could you please tell me what airlines you have had to face this problem with?
I suffered it. I can't remember the airline.

I pushed back hard and wouldn't give in.

I told the guy there is no requirement in Cambodia for such a thing. When he wouldn't cave I asked to speak to his manager, who came over shrugged and said, "It's Cambodia, it's not a problem".

I've also heard of people signing contracts or forms saying the Airline won't be held financially liable if you get sent back out. So you can try to get them to do that too as a last resort.

If you don't wanna buy a return ticket, I'd just go the airport a bit early. And if they give you trouble and really won't cave or let you sign some kind of agreement, then buy a ticket online.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic