Siem Reap vs PP costs and amenity

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Siem Reap vs PP costs and amenity

Post by frank lee bent »

Questions of work and business aside, which city is more livable for those who work from home.

I like to have a little land for gardens.
I have explored the margins of PP with no real inspiration.

Only been to SR once, with flying chicken as my friend on the ground.

The compact nature and lesser traffic of SR is starting to appeal to me with the airport as the major decider.

Got to be a lot cheaper to live there?
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: Siem Reap vs PP costs and amenity

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

frank lee bent wrote:Questions of work and business aside, which city is more livable for those who work from home.

I like to have a little land for gardens.
I have explored the margins of PP with no real inspiration.

Only been to SR once, with flying chicken as my friend on the ground.

The compact nature and lesser traffic of SR is starting to appeal to me with the airport as the major decider.

Got to be a lot cheaper to live there?
Cheaper real estate rent for sure. But are everyday goods marked up higher than in the city? Seems like being in PP would lead to lower cost of living on things you buy for the home and whatnot, but I don't think anyone would argue that Phnom Penh is cheaper than SR when it comes to rent prices of real estate.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

was mentioned elsewhere that cost and variety of food in local markets is better in PP
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

you can find houses a lot easier up there with land than in PP for sure where most Barangs live in Chinese style shop houses ( apts) or Gh's
cheaper?? all depends

I have a few friends that have homes, they pay anywhere from $350-600/month for 2-3 bedroom homes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i can't bear that lwairng shit.
need space for roosters.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I just wrote a long reply that disappeared, somehow. I recently moved from PP to SR. My rent for a large house with a large garden is the same price I paid for a 1-BR in Phnom Penh. My electricity price is the same, food costs are the same (shopping at Western grocery stores and local markets). Some items are harder to find or more expensive (interior design stuff, furniture) because it's brought from Phnom Penh. Other than that, I can't think of things that cost more here. The real issue is that there's not as much to do in Siem Reap, but since I'm happy doing nothing I don't mind. I prefer having a garden.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

And the neighbors here seem remarkably tolerant of loud poultry. Image
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one suggestion;

it is closer to drive to Surin Thailand ( less than 3 hours) than to Phnom Penh ( 5-8 hours) on good roads

What i like about sr is your 10 minutes from the countryside!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

great info kids- mille grazie
i was kind of blind to the charms until i visited Battam bong

i am prepared to believe you!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

How much is a small studio up there? Western-style studio (tastefully decorated bathroom/kitchen, serviced or not etc).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic