Moving to Sihanoukvile

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Australia

Moving to Sihanoukvile

Post by aussieexpat1068 »

Hi all. I have recently returned to Australia after living in Pattaya Thailand for 20 months but have started to consider moving to Sihanoukvile Cambodia. Could other members please answer my following questions?

1. Is a multiple entry business visa still available and readily achieveable in Sihanoukvile once you have entered Cambodia holding a tourist visa? If so is a 12 month visa still around $300.00 US?

2. I plan on arriving with some US currency but imagine this will soon be depleted. Are atm's readily reliable when withdrawing money from an international bank or in my case Australia?

3. Can any members suggest accommodation for around $150-200 US a month in Sihanoukvile?

4. Ignorant question. I understand that Cambodia likes to quote US currency in some circumstances but locally I imagine Cambodian money is still acceptable. Are there any known difficulties dealing with both?

Many thanks
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Moving to Sihanoukvile

Post by OrangeDragon »

1. Yes, but get an "ordinary visa" instead of a tourist visa when arriving, a tourist visa can't be extended. $5 more than a tourist visa.
2. Plenty of international ATMs.
3. Charlie Harper's bar has pretty good full service rooms for around that price.
4. Pretty much everyone uses both currencies interchangeably.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Wow. I might want to suggest you at least visit the country/city before committing to move. In less than 1 week in country you could have answered all of those questions yourself. Besides that, Sihanoukville is not for everyone...
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Australia

Thanks OrangeDragon. It's always great to get a response relevant to the OP. I can be a bit transient in my travels so being fore armed with some basic knowledge always amounts to being priceless.
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Australia

Hi Digg3r. I have been to Cambodia but wanted a bit more in the way of specific info for a long term stay. OrangeDragon cleared the cofusion I had regarding vias's etc which could have seen me ariving on the wrong one so I'm not sure what you mean by satisfying my curiousity in country within one week? All the best.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

One thing to digg3rs point... s'ville really isn't for everyone. it's sort of a cross between a sleepy town and a raging party without much in between. especially now it's in the low season. i like that aspect of it... i can go 5-10 minutes away to go from quiet relaxation to getting smashed and dancing my ass off, but there's not a lot of other options. for me, i spend most of my time in the sleepy town aspect. relaxing on the beach in the early hours when i've finished working or hanging out at charlie harpers having a pint and bullshitting with some of the other expats in the evenings.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

I sometimes think of a move to Snooks - very fond of the place. Just don't think I could handle the whole wet season without pushing my already ludicrous booze intake right over no way back mountain.
aussieexpat1068
Tourist
Australia

Sounds some what like Pattaya. I lived in the middle of the bar scene and when I was hooked up about the same time as you from it all in a quiet Soi. I'm sure there will be things that are different but then I'm sure there will be things that aren't too far from being similar. Thailand had been home and a holiday destination for 12 years and being just a few years off 50, I found that the visa rules that kept you paying for the privilege and the future financial requirements that laid ahead combined with the hard rules that has you keeping other things quiet has made Cambodia more appealing. Really the only thing I do miss is sitting about with other expat mates at my local but then there is every chance of being able to do that again in Snooky. Might see you there. Thanks for your help.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yep, just give a shout at Charlie Harpers and I'm pretty easy to find.

And Linkinwater: I think you'd dig it down here... and wet season isn't all that bad, still plenty to do. Even things that don't involve drinking (I hear).
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

I love it down there.
I forget when you moved. Have you done a full wet yet?

I remember what had to be an eight day stretch when it didn't stop raining - at all. Grim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic