Aggressive dogs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Aggressive dogs

Post by Mr. Yan »

Came outside yesterday to see my two year old daughter, who had gone outside thirty seconds before me, frozen against the building because a dog was growling at her. Fairly close, in a pretty agressive manner.I was about three seconds away from punting the bastard, but realized the owner who is a new neighbor, was watching. (Not doing anything, just watching.)

This is an adopted street dog, doesn't listen, looks filthy and barely has any hair. The owner is a barang, who has another dog as well.

Been here a few years now, not bothered by the dogs here generally, but this one is where my daughter and other kids play. If this thing bites, or tries to bite my kid I'm sure I will just react and not bother with any conversation with the owner. (Especially after seeing him witness the incident the other day with no reaction.)

I am far from a dog lover, but don't hate dogs for no reason. If this thing bites one of the kids that plays in the complex, what is considered a fair and just reaction?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Aggressive dogs

Post by Username Taken »

You could ask some of the Khmer laborers at a local building site if they'd like some free dog meat.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Put half a Xenix in a piece of meat. With any luck he'll learn to stay away from there.
Sounds like one nasty barang you have living next door.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The pill thing in meat in the previous post and a one way trip into the country.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Foreign owner looking or not, if a dog corners one of my toddlers and growls, it would have received some good dog ass kicking, especialy if I am wearing my bike's boots.
What the fuck is wrong with your neighbor, looking but not doing anything ?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

^ :plus1:
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

Yea, the neighbor is far from the most friendly guy I've ever met. The khmers in the complex don't seem to fond of him or his dogs either. Wouldn't be surprised if someone beat me to the punch. I was thinking pretty much along the same lines of all the suggestions, just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Why not kill the two birds with one stone. Put the pill in the meat and give it to the owner of the dog.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Bloody parents who cant keep their kids under control running about making poor dogs go defensive.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mr. Yan wrote: Been here a few years now, not bothered by the dogs here generally, but this one is where my daughter and other kids play. If this thing bites, or tries to bite my kid I'm sure I will just react and not bother with any conversation with the owner. (Especially after seeing him witness the incident the other day with no reaction.)

I am far from a dog lover, but don't hate dogs for no reason. If this thing bites one of the kids that plays in the complex, what is considered a fair and just reaction?
Just a suggestion - work out an angle to approach the hostile barang and see if you can take preventive measures BEFORE the dog bites. Is a beer and a friendly chat out of the question ? Some people are just clueless (or stoned ?) Could you ask him to call his dog in just while the kids are playing ? .You might have to suck up a bit, but that seems preferable to your kid getting attacked. I think your fears are reasonable; but an avoidance strategy seems a better idea than revenge.

If the soft pedal doesn't work, preventive action. Maybe sound out your Khmer neighbours. They don't want their kids mauled either. Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic