Ice from the shack shops?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Ice from the shack shops?

Post by StroppyChops »

I should probably just try this and enjoy the discovery experience, but I'll give someone an opportunity to mock, and others to participate.

The shack shops that sell tube ice to the other shack shops, do they normally sell to barang? Is rocking up and waving an ice bucket muttering 'som ko, bong, som ko' likely to cause hilarity? What should one expect to pay for a medium sized bucket of ice?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Ice from the shack shops?

Post by Jaap N. »

I pay 500r per kg. Don't know 'som ko'; you most likely mean 'takaw' 'Som' means give and you can use that in a restaurant or so when you want ice in your drink. I believe the proper way to ask for ice at a shop is something like; 'tin takaw', but I'm not an expert on the subject. :beer3:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks Jaap, yes, I meant takow
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

say 'tuk kok anamai' for 'hygenic ice'. The ice will be from a hygenic source, apparently,but you might want to check how they store it in the shack! Do they EVER wash out that orange cooler box?!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks rick - I seriously doubt it, although the one near the Cellcard corner of psar TTP seems better than most.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Is that avatar you? I could have sworn I saw that guy today.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Yes, that's him! I'm a lucky woman.
Using Tapatalk
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

It's going to be the same ice in your drinks when you go out. It's fine, I've been using it regularly for years. When I go to the province it's usually big hollow blocks of the stuff. It always seems to get gritty on the outside, but when it melts a bit the grit is gone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

As soon as the lady of the house (well, shack) spotted my ice bucket she was arm out and asking "You want full or not?" After the post about hygiene I was curious and had a bit of a gander, it all seemed pretty clean, stainless steel scoops to move the ice, reasonably clean, new woven plastic bags holding the fresher ice in the bigger esky, etc. Miles apart from slab ice in the provinces that is stored in a pit and covered in reused rice husk.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

You can also approach Alma about ice. They have a super filtered amazing ice machine thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic