Need some tips for learning foreign languages.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Need some tips for learning foreign languages.

Post by prahkeitouj »

I've leant many languages, English, Japanese, Korean, French and Thai. My problem is I gave up all those languages because I don't have any commitment to study them. I have given up on them because few crazy reasons. I finished Nihongo 1, but I gave up my Japanese when I failed my exam at CJCC. I almost past fist level, only 4 points more. Btw I've learnt korean few month( lesson 10) with my korean teacher at university, but she wasn't allowed to teach any more, Rumor abuout concerning of us to gather group and discuss about politic.
My teacher of French is a serious woman, not many students who studied in that class. She looks like a gangster, like a boy. When I studied with her alone, I couldn't concentrate on studying because her face looks so serious, never smile at all.
My Thai class was at the weekend. I was often absent because I always get up late every weekend. My teacher called me to study every weeks. But after I failed my exam to study in Thailand, I gave up again.
Now I gave up everything even my ACE class because it was at the weekend .I finished level 11a , but my English such English for children. I'm hopeless and seem my brain not good at learning foreign languages, but I still wish I could know more then Khmer language.

However, I still keep on trying to learn English at home and I hope I can know Thai soon then I will start to study Chinese.
I know that you know many foreign languages and you are fast learner. I hope you can share me how do you learn foreign languages?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Need some tips for learning foreign languages.

Post by logos »

"often late because I'm not good at getting up"

His many times have you used the word "gave up" in your excuse for being too lazy to work hard?
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Post by qinjingyou »

It seems to me that you give up too soon. Learning a language takes time and effort. It's very discouraging to study for months and then realize that there are simple things you don't know how to say. In addition, most language classes are boring. Sitting through months of boring classes would discourage anyone.
It seems to me that you're learning in one of the worst ways- going to a weekend class, (when you don't really want to be there) learning grammar and vocabulary, and getting discouraged and quitting when you fail an exam.
What you're doing on this forum is good. You're using English to communicate with others. Don't worry if you can't understand everything you see here, nobody understands some of the stuff that gets posted here.
If you want to improve, find people to talk with. Talk about fun stuff. Download some romance novels. language learning doesn't have to be boring and frustrating, schools just make it that way.
And don't give up.
在见
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Hi , I think you should try and find out one of the hardest things a person can do in life, What do you want to do ? You seem to love studying languages but for what reason? Travel? Work? or just general interest in another culture? For most people learning a new language is not easy, even if you have a good teacher. It takes years of study and involves a lot more than just going to class. I think most students make this mistake. You are an active member of an English inet forum so your using your English everday :thumb: You also need to read more English, the Phnom Penh Post, Cambodian daily etc. Try to start reading level one novels available from IBC bookstore. Watch Star movies etc in English language and get a good dictionary and use it often. Classes are ideally only 20% or so of learning. They should just help you to focus on practicing and understanding what you are learning in class while your conversing, reading, watching etc. i can teach you using a pretty foolproof method if you can dedicate 3 months of 1 hour Mon - Fri . This will give you an international Cambridge certificate at the end of the course (FET). Don't give up, try to stick to one language ; English is the best one for business, travel, education, but only if you aren't hoping to live in China for the next 10 years. Then I would be looking at learning Mandarin instead. Good luck.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:Hi , I think you should try and find out one of the hardest things a person can do in life, What do you want to do ? You seem to love studying languages but for what reason? Travel? Work? or just general interest in another culture? For most people learning a new language is not easy, even if you have a good teacher. It takes years of study and involves a lot more than just going to class. I think most students make this mistake. You are an active member of an English inet forum so your using your English everday :thumb: You also need to read more English, the Phnom Penh Post, Cambodian daily etc. Try to start reading level one novels available from IBC bookstore. Watch Star movies etc in English language and get a good dictionary and use it often. Classes are ideally only 20% or so of learning. They should just help you to focus on practicing and understanding what you are learning in class while your conversing, reading, watching etc. i can teach you using a pretty foolproof method if you can dedicate 3 months of 1 hour Mon - Fri . This will give you an international Cambridge certificate at the end of the course (FET). Don't give up, try to stick to one language ; English is the best one for business, travel, education, but only if you aren't hoping to live in China for the next 10 years. Then I would be looking at learning Mandarin instead. Good luck.
good post! :thumb:

i'm English, we are very lazy people when it comes to languages, we get 3 years of learning french or German in high school as compulsory but that's it, we go everywhere and expect everywhere to speak English (quite a lot of places do/can) which makes us even lazier, i can speak bits of other languages, enough to get by but im not fluent or to the same level as most foreign countries that can speak English are, Khmer, Thai & German would be the main other languages i can speak, i know bits of Spanish, French and Japanese that ive picked up through my life like counting to 10, and learning basic greetings and stuff but nothing advanced,

I've really made an attempt to study Khmer though, as it does really improve your life here, simple things like when going out shopping/buying something, being able to ask how much something is & being able to negotiate the price etc is very useful, and often eliminates tourist tax,
i love the Khmer music, as you know already (mainly the old songs) so i love being able to understand the songs and its a good inspiration for me to learn new words,
and with the vast majority of my friends here being Khmer its great being able to communicate in Khmer, they enjoy it, and its a great feeling being able to do it, im far from fluent but im improving all the time, and its handy when meeting my friends families when at parties or just paying a visit as their English is not always the best or none existent, it doesnt make me feel so alienated as it would

and i agree with JSP practice is the key, i wouldnt have learnt half of what ive learnt if it wasnt for my Khmer friends, as im always asking them about words, or if i hear them speak something that i recognise but not sure of the meaning theyre always willing to tell me, or even if ive learnt a new word maybe online or something i like to go out and put it in to practice with maybe a local street vendor or something, and i like how if i'm not pronouncing it correctly but they know what im trying to say they will help me by keep repeating the word/phrase until im repeating it back correctly, its good for a few laughs,
but yeah without practice learning a new language can get boring very quick, ive really struggled since ive been back in England as i cant practice vocally myself as i have had no one to speak to, but i have been working hard studying by listening to the music and using the language thread on here, its been a great help and ive been able to focus on studying the grammar and other aspects about the language

keep up the good work, your English is really good, try not to give up :)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Need some tips for learning foreign languages.

Post by prahkeitouj »

logos wrote:"often late because I'm not good at getting up"

His many times have you used the word "gave up" in your excuse for being too lazy to work hard?
Let's read and count then.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

qinjingyou wrote:It seems to me that you give up too soon. Learning a language takes time and effort. It's very discouraging to study for months and then realize that there are simple things you don't know how to say. In addition, most language classes are boring. Sitting through months of boring classes would discourage anyone.
It seems to me that you're learning in one of the worst ways- going to a weekend class, (when you don't really want to be there) learning grammar and vocabulary, and getting discouraged and quitting when you fail an exam.
What you're doing on this forum is good. You're using English to communicate with others. Don't worry if you can't understand everything you see here, nobody understands some of the stuff that gets posted here.
If you want to improve, find people to talk with. Talk about fun stuff. Download some romance novels. language learning doesn't have to be boring and frustrating, schools just make it that way.
And don't give up.
That's my weak point of learning new language, easy to give up.
BTW I always ask my friend when I don't understand,but I think I'm very boring to do so. I don't talk to any native speaker for long time since I suspend my English class and my foreign friends go back to their homeland too.
However, I always learn English from YouTube, but there is not everything we want there. I'm still in the forum to post and read, not only to improve my language but I gain more general knowledge.
Thank you for your posting. I won't give up, but I try to find the way to be a fast learner.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

juansweetpotato wrote:Hi , I think you should try and find out one of the hardest things a person can do in life, What do you want to do ? You seem to love studying languages but for what reason? Travel? Work? or just general interest in another culture? For most people learning a new language is not easy, even if you have a good teacher. It takes years of study and involves a lot more than just going to class. I think most students make this mistake. You are an active member of an English inet forum so your using your English everday :thumb: You also need to read more English, the Phnom Penh Post, Cambodian daily etc. Try to start reading level one novels available from IBC bookstore. Watch Star movies etc in English language and get a good dictionary and use it often. Classes are ideally only 20% or so of learning. They should just help you to focus on practicing and understanding what you are learning in class while your conversing, reading, watching etc. i can teach you using a pretty foolproof method if you can dedicate 3 months of 1 hour Mon - Fri . This will give you an international Cambridge certificate at the end of the course (FET). Don't give up, try to stick to one language ; English is the best one for business, travel, education, but only if you aren't hoping to live in China for the next 10 years. Then I would be looking at learning Mandarin instead. Good luck.
Yes, they are! I believe that knowing more languages, we will have more chances to study, work and understanding the world more. I always read news in Khmer and then read in English with same title and find out news words and the way they translate from Khmer to English.
BTW what is English inet forum? Do you mean it's a forum that we can practice English with many people via internet? I'm curious if it's like an English club?

BTW using a pretty foolproof method? I couldn't get your meaning here. Frankly, I don't need certificate, I just want my foreign language is better.
I think English is best, Mandarin is second to learn.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Hey Logos, thanks for your reply mate.
Unlike most people, she had the balls to say " I'm having trouble here, can someone advise me please" and your comment was basically - you are a lazy bint. Good on ya mate, I really hope that you feel better about yourself by putting someone else down.
Why don't you just fuk off back to K440 and bottom feed with your peers ay?
BTW - I take it you are multi lingual?
Dipshit.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
good post! :thumb:

i'm English, we are very lazy people when it comes to languages, we get 3 years of learning french or German in high school as compulsory but that's it, we go everywhere and expect everywhere to speak English (quite a lot of places do/can) which makes us even lazier, i can speak bits of other languages, enough to get by but im not fluent or to the same level as most foreign countries that can speak English are, Khmer, Thai & German would be the main other languages i can speak, i know bits of Spanish, French and Japanese that ive picked up through my life like counting to 10, and learning basic greetings and stuff but nothing advanced,

I've really made an attempt to study Khmer though, as it does really improve your life here, simple things like when going out shopping/buying something, being able to ask how much something is & being able to negotiate the price etc is very useful, and often eliminates tourist tax,
i love the Khmer music, as you know already (mainly the old songs) so i love being able to understand the songs and its a good inspiration for me to learn new words,
and with the vast majority of my friends here being Khmer its great being able to communicate in Khmer, they enjoy it, and its a great feeling being able to do it, im far from fluent but im improving all the time, and its handy when meeting my friends families when at parties or just paying a visit as their English is not always the best or none existent, it doesnt make me feel so alienated as it would

and i agree with JSP practice is the key, i wouldnt have learnt half of what ive learnt if it wasnt for my Khmer friends, as im always asking them about words, or if i hear them speak something that i recognise but not sure of the meaning theyre always willing to tell me, or even if ive learnt a new word maybe online or something i like to go out and put it in to practice with maybe a local street vendor or something, and i like how if i'm not pronouncing it correctly but they know what im trying to say they will help me by keep repeating the word/phrase until im repeating it back correctly, its good for a few laughs,
but yeah without practice learning a new language can get boring very quick, ive really struggled since ive been back in England as i cant practice vocally myself as i have had no one to speak to, but i have been working hard studying by listening to the music and using the language thread on here, its been a great help and ive been able to focus on studying the grammar and other aspects about the language

keep up the good work, your English is really good, try not to give up :)
I agree with your idea. Practicing with Native speakers is very helpful. When I taught Khmer to my Foreign friends, they always corrected me and my speaking and listening were better. I think speaking first and writing is after. Some English words don't make sense at all to me when I just read without seeing face expression of the speakers.

Jamie, I think way you learn by song lyrics are joyful. I really like it. I think you are a fast learner.

Of course, I won't give up on my English learning because I've a dream.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic