Phnom Penh Accommodations & Commute Question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dastardlyduck
Tourist

Phnom Penh Accommodations & Commute Question

Post by dastardlyduck »

I will be interning in Phnom Penh for two months and I have a couple questions about accommodations. I've been scouring the forums desperately, but haven't been able to find anything that addresses my questions directly. I'd appreciate any answers or being directed to old threads.

1. Since I'll be in Phnom Penh for only two months, would it be cheaper/more hassle-free for me to stay at a guesthouse? Or should I try to find an apartment with a short-term lease?

2. I'm going to be working somewhere around here (11.574721, 104.871297). Considering the commute, what would be the best neighborhood for me to live? I was thinking southern side of Toul Kork or even Russian Market.

3. What should I do for commute? Should I be relying on tuk tuks for my daily commute or should I try to find a motorbike/bicycle rental? What would be more cost-effective? (And also keeping the rainy season in mind.)

Thank you in advance for all your help!
(X-posted to Khmer440)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Phnom Penh Accommodations & Commute Question

Post by StroppyChops »

I bet the other forum enjoyed the idea if either Toul Kork or Russian Market - they are at nearly opposite ends of town.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

So, what advice would you give the OP?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:So, what advice would you give the OP?
Don't post on 440.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The given reference is not really near either Toul Kork or Toul Tom Poung (Russian Market), although it's nearer Toul Kork. It's across Russian Bvd and kinda behind the old water park out near the airport ... -ish. I don't know what most people consider a normal commute, but that is FAR out in the suburbs and would be a nightmare during peak hours.

1. You almost definitely won't get a short lease for 1-2 months, so guesthouse or hotel.
2. See above.
3. You can pick up a cheap yet decent bicycle here for $30-40, rental motos are hard to get for a short term but should be getting easier now it's the quiet season.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Riding a bicycle around Phnom Penh is just a spectacularly bad idea.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote:Riding a bicycle around Phnom Penh is just a spectacularly bad idea.
Ah, well, the OP didn't ask about that...

Although Gavin is completely right - given that the majority of Cambodians have not had any formal driving instruction, they do not think it wrong to change lanes without warning and without checking, or to come out from an intersection without looking, or... actually, they don't know about lanes. Or even staying on one side of the road. Let's leave it at that.
dastardlyduck
Tourist

Post by dastardlyduck »

I'm sorry! I don't have a very good grasp on the neighborhoods in Phnom Penh. I saw somewhere that Toul Kork stretches pretty broadly from North to South so I thought it might be the neighborhood closest to where I'll be working. If you have a better ideas of which neighborhoods I should live in, I'd be very grateful.

Also, do you recommend then that I just rely on motodops/tuk tuks instead of trying to commute via bicycle myself?

Thank you for your responses so far!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:Riding a bicycle around Phnom Penh is just a spectacularly bad idea.
Ah, well, the OP didn't ask about that...

Although Gavin is completely right - given that the majority of Cambodians have not had any formal driving instruction, they do not think it wrong to change lanes without warning and without checking, or to come out from an intersection without looking, or... actually, they don't know about lanes. Or even staying on one side of the road. Let's leave it at that.
The "bike lane" on the far right side of the road actually doubles as the "secret oncoming traffic lane."
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

dastardlyduck wrote:I'm sorry! I don't have a very good grasp on the neighborhoods in Phnom Penh. I saw somewhere that Toul Kork stretches pretty broadly from North to South so I thought it might be the neighborhood closest to where I'll be working. If you have a better ideas of which neighborhoods I should live in, I'd be very grateful.

Also, do you recommend then that I just rely on motodops/tuk tuks instead of trying to commute via bicycle myself?

Thank you for your responses so far!
As far as where to live for the 2 months, I would honestly just wait until you land.

You will be able to see that exact route to get to work and people on the ground will help you.

And yes, for 2 months I'd just get a guesthouse .

What's your budget?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic