Cheap versus expensive rent

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

Cheap versus expensive rent

Post by Bhodi »

Hello everyone I plan on arriving in early November and renting an apartment my question is what is considered cheap rent and what is considered luxurious rent while I'm a man of means I don't want a lavish apartment just something comfortable with a balcony so my question is how much do you guys think I should spend for rent thank you and advance for your time.

Edit: forgot to mention I plan on staying in Phnom Penh for a month or two and then either going to Koh Kong or Sihanounkville for another month or two.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Cheap versus expensive rent

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Two months isn't so much renting as it is staying in hotels. Spend what you want from $150 - $5,000 - there's plenty of choices available in Phnom Penh. Me, I wouldn't spend less than $1,000 a month living out of hotels... but that's a personal thing, I stay at 4 star or better hotels only, plenty of people are happy in a guesthouse.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Where did you get the idea that renting an apartment for a month or two during the busiest tourist time of the year would be easy enough to give you a choice of cheap or expensive rent? Just wondering.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Who is this 'chwoot'?

Without specifying the area, and what you want, it's very difficult to say.

Stay in a guest house.

Contact Jan de Jongh at Orchidee hotel in Sihanoukville, he occasionally does monthly rates, but you had better contact him now.

Probably around $600pm, very nice hotel, pool, meals, room service etc.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

vladimir wrote:Who is this 'chwoot'?
It's "chkwoot" you Mekong inhaling saffer!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hey! I drink the Mekong! It's the glue I sniff!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Bhodi »

chkwoot wrote:Where did you get the idea that renting an apartment for a month or two during the busiest tourist time of the year would be easy enough to give you a choice of cheap or expensive rent? Just wondering.

Well I knew it was going to be high season I didn't expect to find guest houses very easily I thought it would be easier to find an apartment and I was looking at this place

http://www.phnompenh.com/index.php?gcm= ... maxn=13032

They list a lot of apartments in price range I can appreciate since you think I'm a little bit wrong headed for thinking this perhaps you can steer me in a better direction I wouldn't mind living in BKK 1, 2 or 3 I figured it would be easy to get an apartment in Koh Kong since I didn't think it would be that touristy again if I'm mistaken please let me know thanks for your time.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Bhodi wrote:
chkwoot wrote:Where did you get the idea that renting an apartment for a month or two during the busiest tourist time of the year would be easy enough to give you a choice of cheap or expensive rent? Just wondering.

Well I knew it was going to be high season I didn't expect to find guest houses very easily I thought it would be easier to find an apartment and I was looking at this place

They list a lot of apartments in price range I can appreciate since you think I'm a little bit wrong headed for thinking this perhaps you can steer me in a better direction I wouldn't mind living in BKK 1, 2 or 3 I figured it would be easy to get an apartment in Koh Kong since I didn't think it would be that touristy again if I'm mistaken please let me know thanks for your time.
Almost all of those places won't be interested in a 2 month let. Apartments tend to go for minimum 6 months (and often minimum 12 months). There are very few apartments available for short-term let in PP or SR.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Look on Airbnb. They're a good # of apts on there now. If you don't wanna have to work at it, just get an apt at Lux on 136. They're decent and $750.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Bhodi wrote:

First of all, don't trust apt ads! You'll meet the agent and find that what you're interested in is not available, but other, more expensive places are.
Second, landlords usually won't give you a 2 month lease. There are some exceptions, but they are pretty expensive.
Thirdly, Cambodians generally don't plan ahead very well. You might set something up now, thinking that all will be well when you arrive, only to find "no have".
I reccomend that you find a nice guesthouse or hotel online that has a reasonable daily rate, in an area that you think you would like, and book it for a few days. When you get here, look around and negotiate a longer term rate.
Good luck and have fun!
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic