Wave vs Smash

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Wave vs Smash

Post by Chuck Borris »

I have Honda Today, it is enough to drive to work and around the town, but now public transport is not functioning yet, prices for taxis are up... I want to buy bigger bike to take trips around PP and to Kampot/ Kep. 5 years I had Honda Wave 110 in TH, great bike, no trouble at all, did many 300-400 km trips without problem, strong in mountains around CM. Cheap to maintain, big enough for 2 people. I was checking prices here, for 800$ (my budget) you can get really old one or newer Suzuki Smash. I know everyone will say Honda, parts are available and cheaper, everyone can repair. But.. Do anybody own a Suzuki Smash? Your experience?
Dont want to buy another automatic bike with small wheels. TIA
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Wave vs Smash

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have had a 2006 Viva/Smash since 2011.

Good bike, very revvy, good brakes, suspension etc. It has well over 250'000 km and only two top end rebuilds done.

You can buy them from like $200-$700 secondhand

The Wave 110cc I don't know as much about; but I do know there are three types of Honda Waves on the market here and some have drum brakes, some are 100cc, some 110cc and some 125cc, also some are fi and some carbed. The cheapest is like $1100 new and the most pricey is $1800 or so new

If I was buying a secondhand wave it would be the carbed and disk braked version. Fuck fuel injection and drum brakes imo
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 pm I have had a 2006 Viva/Smash since 2011.

Good bike, very revvy, good brakes, suspension etc. It has well over 250'000 km and only two top end rebuilds done.

You can buy them from like $200-$700 secondhand

The Wave 110cc I don't know as much about; but I do know there are three types of Honda Waves on the market here and some have drum brakes, some are 100cc, some 110cc and some 125cc, also some are fi and some carbed. The cheapest is like $1100 new and the most pricey is $1800 or so new

If I was buying a secondhand wave it would be the carbed and disk braked version. Fuck fuel injection and drum brakes imo
Thanks.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I always try to rent a Wave 125 when i visit the big city.
It's got the grunt I need.

8)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Used to ride a Wave back in 2006, it was decent enough for in town traffic - only comment is that some newer models of the wave seem to have excessive fairing that interferes with anyone who has feet bigger than a small child. Moved on to big boy bikes now, but I'd thumbs up the Wave as a decent enough scooter. Mate of mine way back used to have a Smash, much of a muchness frankly - its a 100-125cc bike, the only thing you need to worry about is being rear-ended by a moron, or t-boned by a child in a man's body on a Sports bike, same as anyone else on two wheels.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic