2 passports, 1 visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ali baba
Expatriate

2 passports, 1 visa

Post by ali baba »

My current visa (EOS) expires at the end of this month and my passport expires on 23rd of February next year and I'm trying to decide how to transition to the new passport.

Option 1- Get a 12 month extension as usual and carry 2 passports for 4-5 months until that extension expires. I don't travel often so it shouldn't inconvenience me too much.

Option 2- Let it expire and pay 2 days of overstay fees before leaving the country for 32 days. Then get a 1 month visa + 6 month extension upon return. This way they both expire within 1 week of each other but immigration may require a buffer and refuse to give me an extension when my passport has less than 6 months left.

Option 3- Get a 6 month extension and risk having no visa whilst I wait for my new passport.

Any advice?
Scarier than malaria.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: 2 passports, 1 visa

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ali baba wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:38 pm My current visa (EOS) expires at the end of this month and my passport expires on 23rd of February next year and I'm trying to decide how to transition to the new passport.

Option 1- Get a 12 month extension as usual and carry 2 passports for 4-5 months until that extension expires. I don't travel often so it shouldn't inconvenience me too much.

Option 2- Let it expire and pay 2 days of overstay fees before leaving the country for 32 days. Then get a 1 month visa + 6 month extension upon return. This way they both expire within 1 week of each other but immigration may require a buffer and refuse to give me an extension when my passport has less than 6 months left.

Option 3- Get a 6 month extension and risk having no visa whilst I wait for my new passport.

Any advice?
My Embassy cut the corner off my old passport data page when they returned it to me along with a new one in a similar situation.

Then I simply sent both passports off for EOS and all was fine.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:whip:
ali baba wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:38 pm My current visa (EOS) expires at the end of this month and my passport expires on 23rd of February next year and I'm trying to decide how to transition to the new passport.

You must have a minimum 6 months passport validity remaining from the date your new EOS will expire ie.

- if applying for a 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 6 mth EOS, you need at least 12 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 3 mth EOS, you need at least 9 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 1 mth EOS, you need at least 7 mths remaining on your passport

Since you only have 8 months remaining on your passport, you are only eligible to apply for a 1 mth Extension of Stay. Depending on the actual date your current EOS expires, you may be able to get a 2nd 1 mth EOS after the first, but if your current EOS expires after the 23rd June, then you won't be able to.

You need a new passport ASAP! EOS in old passport remains valid. As long as you get your new passport before your next EOS expires, then you can apply for a 12 mth EOS in your new passport, you just need to submit both passports when you apply.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

I've got 2 passports myself at the moment.

My visa, in the old passport, is still valid for about half a year. My embassy put some holes in the old passport, but put a stamp, including my old passport#, in the new one.

So my new passport is totally empty except for that stamp. Embassy promised me it wouldn't be a problem for my next visa renewal as long as I show both passports to immigration.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:54 pm :whip:

You must have a minimum 6 months passport validity remaining from the date your new EOS will expire ie.

- if applying for a 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 6 mth EOS, you need at least 12 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 3 mth EOS, you need at least 9 mths remaining on your passport
- if applying for a 1 mth EOS, you need at least 7 mths remaining on your passport

Since you only have 8 months remaining on your passport, you are only eligible to apply for a 1 mth Extension of Stay. Depending on the actual date your current EOS expires, you may be able to get a 2nd 1 mth EOS after the first, but if your current EOS expires after the 23rd June, then you won't be able to.

You need a new passport ASAP! EOS in old passport remains valid. As long as you get your new passport before your next EOS expires, then you can apply for a 12 mth EOS in your new passport, you just need to submit both passports when you apply.
The above is absolutely correct as I am currently applying for a new passport and had to go 6 month extension (as opposed to my normal 1 year ext.) as my passport expires Jun 2024.
EOS exp. May 2023 so that meant only 13 months.

I would like to add that your old passport must be kept, even if you add an EOS to it as you will need it when you exit the country. Your exit slip will be in your old passport.

Back in 2014, just after I last renewed my passport I was popping over the Vietnam border to see my wife's father and family and took my new passport but not my old one and we had to wait at the border whilst my old passport was rushed by car to us!!
Not something you would want to repeat I can tell you.
Stress and the ear bashing I got while we waited makes you remember these things.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:19 pm I would like to add that your old passport must be kept, even if you add an EOS to it as you will need it when you exit the country. Your exit slip will be in your old passport.
Yes, very important, Entry Stamp and Immigration Card in the old passport need to be shown when departing.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Not to doubt the veracity of the last two replies from reliable posters, nor suggest doing this but when I left the country last year I had forgotten about the immigration card in my old passport, which I had left at home. First time travelling after covid / getting old?

I had time before my flight and could've had the old passport sent to the airport so it wasn't panic time but they made / let me fill out a new card.

Makes you wonder how all important these pieces of paper really are :stir:

*Caveat - just cos it happened to me, I do not endorse going this route. Keep your old passport and immigration card safe and present it when needed!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm flying home for July and reading through the UK's website it looks like applying for a new passport should be fast and straightforward but Murphy's Law is always a threat.

Wish me luck!
Scarier than malaria.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@reggie perrin's dad yea the Immigration Officers at the airports are usually a little more lenient than the guys at land borders, but as you say, individual experiences will differ all depending on the individual Immigration officer on the day.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:29 am Not to doubt the veracity of the last two replies from reliable posters, nor suggest doing this but when I left the country last year I had forgotten about the immigration card in my old passport, which I had left at home. First time travelling after covid / getting old?

I had time before my flight and could've had the old passport sent to the airport so it wasn't panic time but they made / let me fill out a new card.

Makes you wonder how all important these pieces of paper really are :stir:

*Caveat - just cos it happened to me, I do not endorse going this route. Keep your old passport and immigration card safe and present it when needed!
In my experience, when there's no card, they will just let you fill in a blank one and the issue is solved.

A missing entry stamp is another story though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic