GDI moving foreigner data to app

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

GDI moving foreigner data to app

Post by AndyKK »

What is this! Does it apply to western expats, I must say it's the first time I have ever heard of this -

The compulsory duty that GDI has to do regularly is to give permanent residence cards and check validity. It needs to be able to manage foreign immigrants seriously and effectively,” he said.

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/gd ... r-data-app

Anyone got any information?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: GDI moving foreigner data to app

Post by truffledog »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 am What is this! Does it apply to western expats, I must say it's the first time I have ever heard of this -

The compulsory duty that GDI has to do regularly is to give permanent residence cards and check validity. It needs to be able to manage foreign immigrants seriously and effectively,” he said.

sounds like the first step to get ALL permanent residents to pay future taxes of whatever kind.
work is for people who cant find truffles
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

truffledog wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 am What is this! Does it apply to western expats, I must say it's the first time I have ever heard of this -

sounds like the first step to get ALL permanent residents to pay future taxes of whatever kind.
It's one thing that has always been on my mind while I have been in the country, more so with Cambodia not having many double tax treaties with western countries.
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

"90,000 foreign permanent residents" in Phnom Penh??! Where does this chap get these numbers from? I believe the number is more like 90! Curious.... this is the first of any of this I have ever seen. Has anyone got a card yet!? I mean to say my act here is as a peaceful inhabitant...but to keep the peace I used a visa 'fixer' to get work visa/renewal. Now I am wondering what this all really means when I have to renew again. I am close to the 50+ retirement visa. Maybe that is what I have to get this time around.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SEAdude wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am "90,000 foreign permanent residents" in Phnom Penh??! Where does this chap get these numbers from? I believe the number is more like 90!
I gather you don't get around much. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SEAdude wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am "90,000 foreign permanent residents" in Phnom Penh??! Where does this chap get these numbers from? I believe the number is more like 90! Curious.... this is the first of any of this I have ever seen. Has anyone got a card yet!? I mean to say my act here is as a peaceful inhabitant...but to keep the peace I used a visa 'fixer' to get work visa/renewal. Now I am wondering what this all really means when I have to renew again. I am close to the 50+ retirement visa. Maybe that is what I have to get this time around.
Most I would say use an agent to renew their EOS. So why would an ER be better? It could end in the same result, taxed on salary or taxed on pension money, it's all income at the end of the day.
In the past I have only known mainly that the Veitnamees have had this sort of card.
PDS Kiwi may have the answers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I guess the word 'give' is open to interpretation. Another cash cow launched.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

"More than 140,000 non-immigrant foreigners are living in Cambodia and the Chinese make up the largest group, according to data from the Foreigner Presence in Cambodia System (FPCS)."

Seems like this might be us? I think this article might be referring to Vietnamese and others who have no intention of going home, as I doubt that this refers to us: "...people in the past criticised the flow of illegal immigrants into Cambodia."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic