Yes or no, can I (and others in my situation) get into Cambodia this year ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Yes or no, can I (and others in my situation) get into Cambodia this year ?

Post by popping in »

I'm now devoting way too much time to this, when it seems quite likely to be a dead end anyway, and when the more I read the more complicated I think the whole thing is. So I would at least like to find out if possible, am I wasting my time completely in pursuing/investigating this further.

I am asking on behalf of myself, but also on behalf of others who may be in the same boat.

If you want to provide more information than yes or no that would be brilliant, but if I'm not too greedy about the information I ask for, I'm more optimistic about getting feedback that's going to at least point me in the right general direction.

For some background I have always had tourist visa or ordinary visa on arrival previously. I know almost nothing about E visas and the more I read about them the more confused I get. I am particularly concerned that people seem to be suggesting that E visas can no longer be extended beyond 30 days without company tax patent and various other documents which I would very likely not have.

So here's my situation:

* I don't have a job in Cambodia
* Maybe I could get an 'employment letter' if I looked into it but that would be it I should imagine. There would be no tax patent, blah blah blah available to me.
* I have taken no steps so far in relation to this matter (visa, employment letter, insurance)
* I am from the UK
* If I go to Cambodia, then I would want to stay for at least 3 months (unless a border opened up). I do not want to fly out there for 30 days and then come back to UK
* I am going to rule out overstaying my visa as an option
- I have no contacts in Cambodia that would be likely to be of any use in relation to this matter, and have to be realistic in terms of finances

Please yes or no (with any additional information also very gratefully received), is it possible for me to go to Cambodia this year (and stay for 3 months) ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED :)
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Yes or no, can I (and others in my situation) get into Cambodia this year ?

Post by TWY »

realistic in terms of finances
--------------------------------
Then I say no. Its a lot of time and effort and expense IF you have the proper existing visa. If you have no employment here then your talking about paying for additional documents. Its just not the year for international travel.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I have a friend who got in from USA but they had friend who were willing to support all steps of getting a business visa. Without going this route (or perhaps retirement but I have no knowledge of that) then I would say your chances in 2020 are low

Have you tried one of the visa agents to see what they say? They may have routes to success unknown to those not actively seeking to get in
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm
So here's my situation:

* Maybe I could get an 'employment letter' if I looked into it but that would be it I should imagine. There would be no tax patent, blah blah blah available to me.
* I have taken no steps so far in relation to this matter (visa, employment letter, insurance)

Please yes or no (with any additional information also very gratefully received), is it possible for me to go to Cambodia this year (and stay for 3 months) ?
I'd like to give you some advice, but without knowing what qualifications or skills you have it's impossible to say. For starters you will need to be offered a serious job before any company is going to give you any "employment letter", and considering you only plan to stay 3 months I don't see any company taking you up on this. Why do you want to come here anyway? It's not really the free-wheeling place it used to be, unless you are well established or minted it may not be the best choice right now.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

OK, thanks guys.

No, I'm under 55. Forgot to mention that.

The feedback above is helpful and appreciated.

I think, I'll have to pass on this one. I've got a lot of stuff done travelling that many don't get done, so when I hear about people streaming into KoW, my reaction is well if they can do it I can do it. But, maybe that's not the case. I appreciate that people have put a lot of work into getting back in - back home in many cases - and they have my respect, congratulations and best wishes.

I have no real reason to go to Cambodia in particular, other than it's somewhere that I like. I think maybe that's not enough motivation to get it done this time, and that's fine. Better to know that than to get hopes up, spend time on it, only for it to prove to be a dead end.

Thanks again.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

If its just for 3 months just go somewhere else, the world's a big place and there are many places to go where you don't have to jump through multiple hoops.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:16 pm No, I'm under 55. Forgot to mention that.
I think most of the posters on here are under 55. I'm not sure how relevant that is anyway, what you do and how good you are at it are more important.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm I'm now devoting way too much time to this, when it seems quite likely to be a dead end anyway, and when the more I read the more complicated I think the whole thing is. So I would at least like to find out if possible, am I wasting my time completely in pursuing/investigating this further.

I am asking on behalf of myself, but also on behalf of others who may be in the same boat.

If you want to provide more information than yes or no that would be brilliant, but if I'm not too greedy about the information I ask for, I'm more optimistic about getting feedback that's going to at least point me in the right general direction.

For some background I have always had tourist visa or ordinary visa on arrival previously. I know almost nothing about E visas and the more I read about them the more confused I get. I am particularly concerned that people seem to be suggesting that E visas can no longer be extended beyond 30 days without company tax patent and various other documents which I would very likely not have.

So here's my situation:

* I am from the UK
* If I go to Cambodia, then I would want to stay for at least 3 months (unless a border opened up). I do not want to fly out there for 30 days and then come back to UK
- I have no contacts in Cambodia that would be likely to be of any use in relation to this matter, and have to be realistic in terms of finances

Just two things to consider that may help you:

I believe it used to be possible to get a retirement visa even if you were just 50 and up, of course there were income requirements, but it may apply to you.

Also, there is the EG visa which is for "looking for work". Unless things have changed recently, this visa is still available for a six month extension from your original entry on an E type visa. I.e. total of 7 months.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm
popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm I'm now devoting way too much time to this, when it seems quite likely to be a dead end anyway, and when the more I read the more complicated I think the whole thing is. So I would at least like to find out if possible, am I wasting my time completely in pursuing/investigating this further.

So here's my situation:

* I am from the UK

Just two things to consider that may help you:

I believe it used to be possible to get a retirement visa even if you were just 50 and up, of course there were income requirements, but it may apply to you.

Also, there is the EG visa which is for "looking for work". Unless things have changed recently, this visa is still available for a six month extension from your original entry on an E type visa. I.e. total of 7 months.
Aha. I think you might be on to something here. I think the patent stuff only applies if the extension you're applying for is an EB extension. I've never had an EB visa so I think I can get an EG extension. You might have cracked it there.

But I'm sure I've seen people saying you need a letter of invitation in order to get the original E visa. Why would a company send you a letter of invitation, if you're going to go there and look for work (presumably with another firm) ?

I'm usually much better organised than this. I can't even remember how I found this link, but the following document (issued August 2020):

https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/emb ... o-cambodia

appears to me to state that Cambodia is welcoming people (and therefore presumably issuing visas to them ?) from each of the following categories:

I) "foreign travellers...who are sponsored"
II) "foreign travellers...who have not been sponsored but invited"
III) "foreign travellers who are investors-business persons, company staffs, experts, skilled workers, technicians and family members, without being either sponsored or invited"
IV) "other regular foreign travellers planning to travel to Cambodia..."

So what's the benefit in being invited or sponsored ??

EDIT: I THINK that document was issued in August. It MIGHT have been issued in April (not sure on the date format). It is linked here though which was updated in August: https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/how ... -visa.html

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a clue what I'm talking about. DO NOT TAKE ANY GUIDANCE FROM MY POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:24 pm
popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:16 pm No, I'm under 55. Forgot to mention that.
I think most of the posters on here are under 55. I'm not sure how relevant that is anyway, what you do and how good you are at it are more important.
I'm well qualified in a middle of the road and over saturated construction profession.

I did actually meet with one of the larger construction companies in PP when I was there in 2018, but the money they were talking about was pretty ridiculous. No disrespect, but I don't think my skillset is really needed in KoW (not that it's anything amazing, and I'm sure there are plenty of expats in KoW who are much more skilled than I am).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic