Opening Bank Acct & transfers in USD

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brendianne
Tourist
Australia

Opening Bank Acct & transfers in USD

Post by Brendianne »

Is it possible to open a bank account that trades in USD only?
Can I transfer USD (via xe.com) to a bank account in Cambodia?
If so, which bank is best?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Opening Bank Acct & transfers in USD

Post by hanno »

ANZ certainly does that. I have a Dollar account and have transferred USD into it.
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

I spoke with someone in ABA bank a couple of weeks ago and he confirmed that a USD account is possible, and that the bank is familiar with Xendpay, so transferring Euros from my French bank account would be trouble-free.
I guess that XE, therefore, would be fine.

As with many things in Cambodia though, just because it’s okay here (or so I’ve been told. It might not actually be so!), doesn’t mean it’s necessarily okay where you are though, so time spent asking probing questions in your bank of choice will be time well-spent!
Milk was a bad choice
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I have an ABA account. Transfers to Cambodia via TT (telegraphic transfer) all go via intermediary banks who also take a cut, with a few exceptions. If you only need $500 to $1000 at a time there are some ATMs that don't charge a withdrawal fee (Maybank ATMs for some, but not all, Visa cards, and Vietnam's MB Bank ATMs for Mastercard, but the latter has very few ATMS)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 pm I have an ABA account. Transfers to Cambodia via TT (telegraphic transfer) all go via intermediary banks who also take a cut, with a few exceptions. If you only need $500 to $1000 at a time there are some ATMs that don't charge a withdrawal fee (Maybank ATMs for some, but not all, Visa cards, and Vietnam's MB Bank ATMs for Mastercard, but the latter has very few ATMS)
Do you have a current and/or savings account?

What’s your experience of ABA in branch, and of their website/phone app?

:thumb:
Milk was a bad choice
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jasper wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 pm I have an ABA account. Transfers to Cambodia via TT (telegraphic transfer) all go via intermediary banks who also take a cut, with a few exceptions. If you only need $500 to $1000 at a time there are some ATMs that don't charge a withdrawal fee (Maybank ATMs for some, but not all, Visa cards, and Vietnam's MB Bank ATMs for Mastercard, but the latter has very few ATMS)

ABA have the best/most user friendly Internet banking and mobile apps . I have a current, fixed deposit savings and a joint savings acct with them. Most helpful knowledgeable staff I've experienced (also have/had accts with Canadia and Acleda). Have $$ transferred into from abroad at least once a month, also send $$$ abroad regularly via ABA online banking.
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 pm
Jasper wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 pm

ABA have the best/most user friendly Internet banking and mobile apps . I have a current, fixed deposit savings and a joint savings acct with them. Most helpful knowledgeable staff I've experienced (also have/had accts with Canadia and Acleda). Have $$ transferred into from abroad at least once a month, also send $$$ abroad regularly via ABA online banking.
Thanks for that.

I reckon I’ll give them a shot.
Milk was a bad choice
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Yep, what PSD said. Even pay my electricity and water bills via the app.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:33 pm Yep, what PSD said. Even pay my electricity and water bills via the app.
Cool, thanks.

One of the things that’s also swinging it for me is that it’s part of the National Bank of Canada, in case things go tits up!
Milk was a bad choice
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

I also have an account with ABA and I'm very happy with them. Very professional in everything and excellent English spoken at branches.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic