Medical insurance U.S. child born abroad?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Medical insurance U.S. child born abroad?

Post by Syntaxfree »

My son was born abroad but has U.S. citizenship. I'm wondering what kind of medical insurance I should get for him and maybe even myself. I've seen plenty of Expat insurance ads but haven't really looked into it yet. I'm also wondering if there are any gov't programs that would help cover his medical abroad? Can anyone offer any medical insurance suggestions for both myself and baby? Thanks.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Medical insurance U.S. child born abroad?

Post by GMJS-CEO »

You can get a quote here https://compare.aplusii.com/home

Some people use that one and I read it posted on this site and one other, I had them for a while but never made a claim.

I would get high deductible insurance so you are covered for a real emergency, and for any minor illness you just pay out of pocket for a doctors visit. If you want top end coverage which is very expensive I also had Medi-Plus with forte, they paid for me to be flown to Thailand and have surgery after moto accident.

My son was born in Cambodia as well and was covered on the above until we moved to USA
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Syntaxfree wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am My son was born abroad but has U.S. citizenship. I'm wondering what kind of medical insurance I should get for him and maybe even myself. I've seen plenty of Expat insurance ads but haven't really looked into it yet. I'm also wondering if there are any gov't programs that would help cover his medical abroad? Can anyone offer any medical insurance suggestions for both myself and baby? Thanks.
Thai blue cross will cover cambodian residents, butyou willneed to go to thailand for treatment BUT it may by now includethe Royal in PP which is owned bybangkok hospitals. Not sure howold your kid is but I have always used Central Hospital on 154. their paediatrician is very good and french trained. he know speaks pretty good English as well. i have used him several times
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

Thanks a lot.
Kimbodia
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Kimbodia »

pczz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm
Syntaxfree wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am My son was born abroad but has U.S. citizenship. I'm wondering what kind of medical insurance I should get for him and maybe even myself. I've seen plenty of Expat insurance ads but haven't really looked into it yet. I'm also wondering if there are any gov't programs that would help cover his medical abroad? Can anyone offer any medical insurance suggestions for both myself and baby? Thanks.
Thai blue cross will cover cambodian residents, butyou willneed to go to thailand for treatment BUT it may by now includethe Royal in PP which is owned bybangkok hospitals. Not sure howold your kid is but I have always used Central Hospital on 154. their paediatrician is very good and french trained. he know speaks pretty good English as well. i have used him several times

I've tried to find Thai Blue Cross and I just cant find it, could you pm me or post contact info? Thanks
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kimbodia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am
pczz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm

I've tried to find Thai Blue Cross and I just cant find it, could you pm me or post contact info? Thanks
Sorry been offline for a while. Thai Blue Cross was owned by bupa, but i think it has changed its name to https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic