Budget life housing advice

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Budget life housing advice

Post by Imnotasiain »

For starters I'm not looking for any social pep talks. Actual advice would be preferred. Due to covid as well as my baby having heart surgery and followed by constant verbal altercations with my Khmer fiancee and her family behind lack of money from having my school place my job 'on hold', I've found myself in a cute little situation. I'm currently teaching English online for $300 a month, and in need of finding a place to live on a small budget that has WiFi for me to continue to work. Something preferably $100 or less so I can still buy food for myself and baby formula for when I get the chance to see my baby on weekends.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Budget life housing advice

Post by Kammekor »

Assuming you’re talking about Phnom Penh I’d say chances are small you will find a room with decent wifi allowing streaming video for that price. Maybe consider a temporary move to a provincial city?
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Imnotasiain »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 pm Assuming you’re talking about Phnom Penh I’d say chances are small you will find a room with decent wifi allowing streaming video for that price. Maybe consider a temporary move to a provincial city?
Yes I'm currently in Phnom Penh. Provinces are an option. I don't necessarily know how to go about that given that I only know people within PP. Do you have any in mind from personal experience?
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

look for ads looking for a roomate. look on the FB renting groups and khmer24.com.
Still here, in country...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Imnotasiain wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 pm Assuming you’re talking about Phnom Penh I’d say chances are small you will find a room with decent wifi allowing streaming video for that price. Maybe consider a temporary move to a provincial city?
Yes I'm currently in Phnom Penh. Provinces are an option. I don't necessarily know how to go about that given that I only know people within PP. Do you have any in mind from personal experience?
try kampot, seen places for $100-150 with wifi advertised on the kampot fb group and beats the hell out of PP with little cash
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6685957 ... p_activity
But even $5/day for food is ur whole salary and baby formula is not cheap
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

It would help your income if you could get additional online teaching bookings. I assume you're with the popular FB groups that list vacancies. Which online company are you teaching for right now? Are you teaching English/ESL? Are you capable or qualified to teach any other subject? (I teach online primary level science and earn your income x a factor of 10).
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I strongly suspect you could find a place for $100, even something halfway decent, but perhaps a bit further away. You'd have to install your own wifi I think- places like Open Net used to be only $12 per month. Then you can add one of the mobile phone plans for another $1 per week as a backup- total $116 per month.

Maybe your family could help you with an extra $100 per month? $300 is pretty tight.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

You have my sympathies. Things are very tough for a lot of teachers in KOW right now. If you're looking to save money and your income is solely through online work, my advice would be to get out of PP. You can get very similar accommodation in the provinces for less than half what you'd pay in PP and if you're working online, you only need a good internet connection anyway.

On the upside, landlords are having an equally tough time right now and the rental market is at an all-time low. You can negotiate much lower rents than the original asking price if you push hard. Many landlords would rather get something for their empty property than nothing.

My recommendation would be Kampot. I've been spending a lot of time there lately and I love it. Beautiful scenery, really relaxing - a world away from PP, friendly locals / foreigners and very very cheap rents right now - plus it's only 3 hours (and about $6) from PP if you ever wanted to head back to the city for whatever reason.

There's a few Kampot FB groups you can join for info on rents etc and to get to know people if you're the sociable type.

Good luck :)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

One good plus for Kampot is there are some good size fish in the river which would save you $$ every month with the food bill. Not only that but fishing is a great way of relaxing and beats entertaining yourself in a bar talking bullshit to other expats.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Imnotasiain wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm
I guess it mainly depends on how often you want to visit your kid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic