General questions about Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
azerrtrt
Tourist

General questions about Phnom Penh

Post by azerrtrt »

Hi CEO community,
I am planning on moving to PP next year on January and have done some research. Apparently, it is a nice city with an incredible diversity and solid expat community. I also found that Internet is decent in this area. I have two particular questions:
1) Can you confirm that no licence is required for <125cc motorbikes in the city surroundings(i heard about problems in some districts in siem reap...)
2) When I was looking for fitness memberships I found a Sofitel package for 800$ a year! It is even cheaper than some gym chains. in the city and includes pool access...Do you believe it is worth it?
3) Have you ever tried regus offices in the city? I have to choose between this option or another classic coworking space.

Thank you!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: General questions about Phnom Penh

Post by Bluenose »

I would learn to count first with your two particular questions
Anyway,
1 At the moment no licence required
2 Many apartments have gyms and pools, use the $800 to increase your rental budget
3 Regus has a prestigious location, depends how important that is to you
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

$800/month is what, $65/month?

with a pool that's a good deal IF you intend to use it regularly

gym memberships are like exercise bicycles, great fun to start with but soon neglected for many
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

HUH??
...."it is a nice city ...... I also found that Internet is decent in this area."

where did u read this?

post424696.html?hilit=opennet#p424696
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Don't book any co-worker space in advance. Visit some when you're around and then decide.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The Sofitel gym sucks if you're really into fitness, but decent enough if you just want an occasional workout.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am HUH??
...."it is a nice city ...... I also found that Internet is decent in this area."

where did u read this?

post424696.html?hilit=opennet#p424696
I certainly think its a good city or I wouldn't have stayed over 20 years And the internet in my condo is very good, which is all that matters. Plenty of excellent international restaurants and very nice apartments. If I ever want a change i'd probably move to the Algarve.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

As above, internet is fine here - with some caveats depending on ISP, package and exact location. Plenty of IT people and work online types here.

I'm the opposite of a gym rat, cannot offer much advice there except that if you pass on the need for AC, your options are far increased and far more affordable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic