Personal hotspot tethering with Smart SIM

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Personal hotspot tethering with Smart SIM

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello, I've recently been trying all different SIMs for internet purposes and I can't seem to get the personal hotspot working with Smart. Unlike with other providers Cellcard and Metfone, there is nowhere to enter the APN on my phone. As it seems unlikely that my phone settings would just change like that out of the blue, it would appear that Smart is telling my phone not to allow this function.

It does have something called "Wifi calling", which is not really of interest, and also I saw on the internet it looks like they are trying to sell some internet router, which may explain why they don't want people using their personal hotspot.

Does anyone know about this or have insights? Thanks!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Personal hotspot tethering with Smart SIM

Post by timmydownawell »

I have no problem using Smart as a hotspot with my phone. Is your phone Android?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm Hello, I've recently been trying all different SIMs for internet purposes and I can't seem to get the personal hotspot working with Smart. Unlike with other providers Cellcard and Metfone, there is nowhere to enter the APN on my phone. As it seems unlikely that my phone settings would just change like that out of the blue, it would appear that Smart is telling my phone not to allow this function.

It does have something called "Wifi calling", which is not really of interest, and also I saw on the internet it looks like they are trying to sell some internet router, which may explain why they don't want people using their personal hotspot.

I had a similar problem with my iPhone and Metfone when I started using it. I Googled and found a step by step how to which worked fine. Try look for 'using <fill in your phone> as a hotspot' and you'll probably find a workaround.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I've got a Smart hotspot - to set it up, go to settings, on the wifi and networks you go to Plus, then Share Internet Connection, then Via Wifi, and turn it on.
That doesn't give you much though, so I use ThomMorng where they take $1 a week from your phone credit and give you $333 of data. To set it up you dial #1333#.
That works for me anyway. Hope that helps.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 pm I have no problem using Smart as a hotspot with my phone. Is your phone Android?
OK, so sounds like it is possible. I have an iPhone. As mentioned, it works with Cellcard and Metfone, on the settings I just go to "cellular" and set the APN. However, with Smart it doesn't show a way to fill in the APN.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:52 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm Hello, I've recently been trying all different SIMs for internet purposes and I can't seem to get the personal hotspot working with Smart. Unlike with other providers Cellcard and Metfone, there is nowhere to enter the APN on my phone. As it seems unlikely that my phone settings would just change like that out of the blue, it would appear that Smart is telling my phone not to allow this function.

I had a similar problem with my iPhone and Metfone when I started using it. I Googled and found a step by step how to which worked fine. Try look for 'using <fill in your phone> as a hotspot' and you'll probably find a workaround.
I thnk you are referring to a fairly simple issue of not having the APN set up in Settings. I've encountered this before and it was easy to fix.

In this case, the APN setting is no longer visible in my settings. So there is no way to set it.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 pm I have no problem using Smart as a hotspot with my phone. Is your phone Android?
OK, so sounds like it is possible. I have an iPhone. As mentioned, it works with Cellcard and Metfone, on the settings I just go to "cellular" and set the APN. However, with Smart it doesn't show a way to fill in the APN.
So it's an iPhone issue then? Bit weird.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 pm
So it's an iPhone issue then? Bit weird.
It seems to be an interaction between the Smart SIM and my iPhone. But now I have put that SIM into an old iPhone and it works. No idea what's going on.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:52 pm

I thnk you are referring to a fairly simple issue of not having the APN set up in Settings. I've encountered this before and it was easy to fix.

In this case, the APN setting is no longer visible in my settings. So there is no way to set it.
I'm sure there's a way around it, just google with the combi of your specific iphone and 'apn code'. There are ways around, I just don't remember what I did exactly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic