Parental rights and responsibilities in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BOFH
Expatriate

Parental rights and responsibilities in Cambodia?

Post by BOFH »

I am wondering what the legal rights and responsibilities are for parents in Cambodia. There are many stories about how men have left women and vice versa, and I'm curious as of what actually happens to children in these cases. If the parents are married perhaps this is settled as part of the divorce process. What happens if they are not married? I imagine there are some laws put in place for custody and financial support etc, can someone please shed some light on what they say?

Thanks to various NGOs and Loung Ung this topic has become unsearchable using any of the queries I can come up with. Asking for a friend by the way.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Parental rights and responsibilities

Post by phuketrichard »

hate to say this but for Thailand there is nothing, (especially if the parents are not married) would imagine same holds true for Cambodia.

I suppose if one had money and hired ( dare i say this without angering Vlad) a lawyer ,one could force the dad to a DNA test to establish parenthood an than take them to court and force them into paying support, but this would only hold if the parents were married.

were u referring to deadbeat locals or a Barang/bar girl relationship that results in a kid

What happens to the kid??, bad luck and usually ends up with the grandparents.
Look at the amount of half American kids after the Vietnam war.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

phuketrichard wrote:I suppose if one had money and hired ( dare i say this without angering Vlad) a lawyer ,one could force the dad to a DNA test to establish parenthood an than take them to court and force them into paying support, but this would only hold if the parents were married.
Do you know what happens in opposite cases, where the mother wants to leave the father who on the contrary is fully willing to be supportive and present? Rare case, I know, I imagine most people jump the border and simply don't tell anyone at that point.

One thing speaking in favor I guess is the massive face loss for a mother who leaves a father and ends up with an unsupported child.
phuketrichard wrote:were u referring to deadbeat locals or a Barang/bar girl relationship that results in a kid
Barang/bar girl relationships.

Calling it a spade, I am concerned that a child might be used by the mother to blackmail the father. "Give me $X every month to drink in Pontoon or you won't see your child!" sort of thing. I am interested in discovering the legal options in such cases and if it's even practically possible.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

iirc. Steve had this problem many years ago. Have to throw lots of money at it, or take the kid for an ice cream one day and don't come back. Ever.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Do you know what happens in opposite cases, where the mother wants to leave the father who on the contrary is fully willing to be supportive and present? Rare case, I know, I imagine most people jump the border and simply don't tell anyone at that point.
Not as rare as u think as its my case, ex split without our daughter so I raised my daughter from the age of 7 on my own.
and know two other fathers that the mom split.
am concerned that a child might be used by the mother to blackmail the father. "Give me $X every month to drink in Pontoon or you won't see your child!" sort of thing. I am interested in discovering the legal options in such cases and if it's even practically possible.
the story I could tell u about what u wrote.

For me, went to court an got full legal custody

ps NEEDED a lawyer
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Good Man Richard.
From what I have seen- you did a fantastic job.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

vladimir wrote:iirc. Steve had this problem many years ago. Have to throw lots of money at it, or take the kid for an ice cream one day and don't come back. Ever.
That's what I thought. Do you mean Steve the professor, whose son's name begins with an H?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In Cambodian law a couple who has cohabited married or unmarried for 2 years are considered to be married, and the wife can demand maintenance from the husband if he leaves. In practice though it doesn't actually mean anything. I've known of so many men here who have left their wives and children in the lurch and hooked up with another woman, and nothing has come of it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

That isn't Cambodian law when a foreign man is involved. Do you really think a loophole that easy exists to circumvent the $2500/month, under 50 years old law that has thwarted so many couples?
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

KPTIC wrote:That isn't Cambodian law when a foreign man is involved. Do you really think a loophole that easy exists to circumvent the $2500/month, under 50 years old law that has thwarted so many couples?
In my experience it only thwarts idiots. A little bribery to get a certificate of no impediment elsewhere in the world and a marriage conducted in Thailand, Vietnam, or anywhere but Cambodia makes it legal. The fact that Cambodia draws more than its fair share of foreign idiots is another subject entirely...

To the OP's original question - I don't think family law here is particularly well-evolved but suspect that there's a pro-Khmer assumption built in; all the other SE Asian countries certainly do this.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic