Crossing from Vietnam to Phnom Penh!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Crossing from Vietnam to Phnom Penh!

Post by HappyChappy »

So!

I've just booked a flight into Ho Chi Minh for mid Jan with the intention of staying for a week and just getting a cheap bus into Phnom Penh from there just before Feb.

I think I need to get an E-type VISA when crossing over to Cambodia, and I get the impression a UK citizen doesn't need a VISA for Vietnam when staying for less than a couple of weeks.

Does anyone see any flaws in my plan there? I heard that the SE Asians can be a bit tricky with the VISA process when not followed correctly!! really want as smooth a transition as possible!

May thanks in advance for your helpful and not at all cynical responses.

Much love x
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Crossing from Vietnam to Phnom Penh!

Post by Ghostwriter »

I'm pretty sure you can find the answer in this forum archives without even creating a "new" topic.

I guess that's why nobody else answered yet.

Don't try meth. (Free bonus advice moneyback garanteed).
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Simplicity itself. Go to TripAdvisor Cambodia Forum and read this posting:

Visa on Arrival and Passport Requirements 2020

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopi ... bodia.html

OML
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Been a while but the easiest way to cross the border was to let the bus service take care of the visa, you will have this option when purchasing your ticket.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Really, visa information is easy enough to find. Anyway, Brits get a 14-day visa exemption when arriving into Vietnam. Do note that you cannot go back to VN for 30 days after the first visa extension.

Bus companies will take care of the process. Personally, I prefer traveling up to Chau Doc and taking the boat from there to Vietnam.
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

You will be arriving in Vietnam and travelling during TET (Lunar New Year - Jan 23 - end of Jan) Travel will be chaos and hotels may be an issue.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

With a British passport you will not have a problem in getting a visa free stay of up to 14 days. You also will not have a problem getting a visa on arrival for Cambodia. Your problem will be getting a bus to Cambodia in the last week of January due to the Tet holiday in Vietnam. As advised by a previous response your visa free entry for Vietnam can not be repeated within 30 days of exiting Vietnam on the previous visa free entry.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

dirtymacca wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 am You will be arriving in Vietnam and travelling during TET (Lunar New Year - Jan 23 - end of Jan) Travel will be chaos and hotels may be an issue.
Ah bingo! very well reminded (notified) my friend.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:34 am I'm pretty sure you can find the answer in this forum archives without even creating a "new" topic.

Yea I thought it was a bit quiet!! That's half an hour spent staring at my PC I'll never get back.

I will also make note not to try meth (again)....... that was half an hour spent staring at my PC I'll never get back.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:34 am I'm pretty sure you can find the answer in this forum archives without even creating a "new" topic.

Yea I thought it was a bit quiet!! That's half an hour spent staring at my PC I'll never get back.

I will also make note not to try meth (again)....... that was half an hour spent staring at my PC I'll never get back.
Tsss.
How can you stare 30 mn at your pc with a blank look ? Did you get the "chit-chat in lobbies" job already ? Better make those 30 mn productive, maaan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic