Building your own home

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WhereNext
Tourist
United States of America

Building your own home

Post by WhereNext »

I saw a video on YouTube where a Farang claimed to have built his own house for very little money and the house appeared reasonable. Is this just a fluke or are Expats allowed/able to build their own home in Cambodia?

This leads to my second question. Container homes are gaining popularity and by adding containers together, one can build a fairly nice and decent size house this way. Are container homes popular or even used in Cambodia? I believe they are used in the Philiipines.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Building your own home

Post by Username Taken »

Here's one, but there are several others general-chatter/building-kep-t16408.html
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

WhereNext wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am I saw a video on YouTube where a Farang claimed to have built his own house for very little money and the house appeared reasonable. Is this just a fluke or are Expats allowed/able to build their own home in Cambodia?

This leads to my second question. Container homes are gaining popularity and by adding containers together, one can build a fairly nice and decent size house this way. Are container homes popular or even used in Cambodia? I believe they are used in the Philiipines.
As an alternative, cant you buy an RV? You dont have to move and you can change location when you need to. I dont recall I saw any RVs in Cambodia the last few times that I visted the country.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WhereNext wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am I saw a video on YouTube where a Farang claimed to have built his own house for very little money and the house appeared reasonable. Is this just a fluke or are Expats allowed/able to build their own home in Cambodia?

Containers are a bitch. Expensive, difficult to transport and way too hot and small. Heavy too so not eay to raise off the flood plain. If you look closely at the pictures from the philipines they first build a big open sided roof to keep the sun off the containers
Wood houses can be expensive and as a foreigner you may find some documentation issues getting wood to your plot. better to let the local carpenter do it and use recycled wood if poss for the environment.
Brick and concrete is probably the way to go for security and fireproofing. bottom half concrete upper half wood, maybe. Wood houses do not always last as long as you think they would
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The problem with using a shipping container is, people think of is as the near finished item. A container should only be the framework for the house. In other words you need to put a lining on the outside of that framework and the inside of that framework. Next you need to put a roof over that ceiling., preferably extending out past the walls.

Next thing is the standed shipping container is not high enough and the ''Hi Cube '' size that is about 300 mm higher should always be used.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Container homes are the worst possible idea for the tropics. Extremely hot and stuffy, and even if you were to green roof it somehow, steel doesn't last long in the humidity. What do you mean by "yourself"? You mean he physically did it all himself, or he hired contractors and did the design himself? Plenty of people do the latter.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Andy KK is the only person i have known that has built his own home in Cambodia on the banks of the mighty Mekong>> :-)

Ie; with his own hands
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Has pczz said containers are hard to transport, I knew someone who did it here, and they dropped off the truck 500m up the lane from where it was supposed to go because it was wet, it was not cheap compared to Europe prices too. He had it all kitted out before it came, including insulation, with running aircon 24/7.

I built a shed on the Mekong river bank, land was cheap at 3000r per metre, and the building materials cost @$300 but I had to buy tools, and sweat a little. Good views.

But in the end we can't own anything, so I had to give it away.

I would like to build a prefab if I had another go.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Bricks and concrete are by far the cheapest. Throw as much labour at the job as you can afford as they take fucking ages
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm Container homes are the worst possible idea for the tropics. Extremely hot and stuffy, and even if you were to green roof it somehow, steel doesn't last long in the humidity. What do you mean by "yourself"? You mean he physically did it all himself, or he hired contractors and did the design himself? Plenty of people do the latter.
The steel that containers are built from is specifically designed to be resistant to high moisture levels and doesn't actually need to be kept properly painted. But as someone who spends a bit of time inside them as part of my job, I wouldn't like to live in one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic