Pharmacy medications

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jibberwibber
Tourist
Great Britain

Pharmacy medications

Post by Jibberwibber »

Hello,

I will be visiting phnom penh in the new year, very excited.

Unfortunately I suffer with chronic pain and insomnia, Sadly not much time left to travel for me.

I am looking to stay for 2-3 months for my first try, very nice hotel. I will need to buy medication during my stay there.

I have read the pharmacies stock a wide range of medications and have a relaxed attitude. Is this still the case? What are the strongest pain/insomnia "genuine" medications you can buy over the counter?

Are they happy to recieve cash payments?

Would you kind people have any recommendations/advice.

Many thanks.

Martin
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Pharmacy medications

Post by Anchor Moy »

Why not bring a prescription from your doctor for your medication needs for 3 months ? Pharmacie de la Gare in Phnom Penh is very professional and you should be able to get exactly what you need if you have a script.
There are painkillers available without prescription, but I've got no advice about those if that's what you are looking for.
I don't want to be negative, but many deaths of foreigners in Cambodia are suspectedly from taking pharmaceutical ODs, so this is not something to take lightly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Don't come here, you'll only end up in trouble.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Come and enjoy yourself.
Go to reputable pharmacies and tell them what you need.
Over medicating is a bad idea wherever you are.
Be smart..
Have a great time.
Jibberwibber
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Jibberwibber »

Thankyou for your responses,

I am not looking to get into trouble or cause problems.

Not looking to get high to party or anything like that. (Maybe a few years ago it would be different).

Looking to stay in lovely accomadation try some new food enjoy the weather and manage my pain. Very little time left for me now and just wanted to know would I be able to get what I need.

Things are so strict here and it's nearly impossible to get the help you need.

Would hate to travel all the way there only to find that my research is out of date 👍

Many thanks
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Jibberwibber wrote:Thankyou for your responses,

I am not looking to get into trouble or cause problems.

Not looking to get high to party or anything like that. (Maybe a few years ago it would be different).

Looking to stay in lovely accomadation try some new food enjoy the weather and manage my pain. Very little time left for me now and just wanted to know would I be able to get what I need.

Things are so strict here and it's nearly impossible to get the help you need.

Would hate to travel all the way there only to find that my research is out of date Image

Many thanks
There's not much. I get 2-3 excruciating migraines a year and most pharmacies only have 30mg codeine as their strongest med and it does zero for me.

Back in the States my doctor would prescribe me 20-30 hydrocodone each year as well as some narcotic nasal spray to have on hand as I needed it when I'd get a migraine. It helped quite a good amount but I've never found it here.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tramadol, 100 mgs works for me
but no idea why'd you wish to spend ur last days in Phnom Penh
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm but no idea why'd you wish to spend ur last days in Phnom Penh
Where would you choose Richard? ( not being argumentative in case it sounds that way - genuine question). I think for me it would have to be somewhere with swimmable water, peace, and decent greens- Kep perhaps or a beach in Samoa. On the other hand, I can see how there is something about the crazyness of a city like Pp that makes one feel alive esp if you can have the $ to stay in a nice enough hotel to escape it when its too much.

Good luck Jibberwibber, I can't give any advice regarding painkillers- but I would expect that if you had a prescription- or could be bothered with the hassle of going to a good doctor in Pp you could get what you need to make life easier.
Sleep meds are still very easy to get- xanax etc and Zopidem (though I'll never take that one again- messed with my head too much)
Ketamine, I think is still available at some chemists.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm but no idea why'd you wish to spend ur last days in Phnom Penh
Where did he say he'd be spending his last days in Phnom Penh?
Thanks, at least, for giving some on topic info before launching into your typical, invasive rabbit hole, phuketrichard.

Jibberwibber wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 pm I will be visiting phnom penh in the new year, very excited.
I am looking to stay for 2-3 months for my first try,
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Brody wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:08 pm
Where did he say he'd be spending his last days in Phnom Penh?
Thanks, at least, for giving some on topic info before launching into your typical, invasive rabbit hole, phuketrichard.

Jibberwibber wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 pm I will be visiting phnom penh in the new year, very excited.
I am looking to stay for 2-3 months for my first try,
:please:
dam, put me on ignore, you dont need stalk, respond to my posts
when do you EVER offer any valid information to anyone? Your a worthless twat flannel
Where would you choose Richard? ( not being argumentative in case it sounds that way - genuine question). I think for me it would have to be somewhere with swimmable water, peace, and decent greens- Kep perhaps or a beach in Samoa. On the other hand, I can see how there is something about the crazyness of a city like Pp that makes one feel alive esp if you can have the $ to stay in a nice enough hotel to escape it when its too much.
You nailed it, somewhere laid back, easy going, little traffic, noise or pollution and THE SEA. You might stay in a nice hotel but ( unless ur Julian Assange) you might want go out at sometime. LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic