Visa extension mistake through hotel

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Visa extension mistake through hotel

Post by Private Nuts »

So I was on my way to my normal visa extension lady and my hotel manager stops me and says, I can do it cheaper. She charged me 55 USD last time. So he said 53usd with a photocopy. And I stupidly gave him my passport and he said he's taken it to the local travel agent.
But, he doesn't have a physical receipt and I realised I didn't give him a passport sized photo. And I havn't signed anything, I just took pics of my passport and visa before I gave it to him.
He said don't worry, I'll get them to send me the receipt through an app and then send to you.
Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I like having the receipt and I'm just stressing that there's some scam.
I'll make him give me the address of the travel agent tomorrow. Why wouldn't they give him a physical paper receipt?.
I can't sleep, I'm just too trusting sometimes, it takes two weeks to get a passport back to Siem reap. Passport stress is the worst type of stress, that's why I can't sleep.
This is a lesson in how not to be an idiot.
I'll update you on my experience with the so called travel agency in a few hours.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Visa extension mistake through hotel

Post by Private Nuts »

Wait, no, this is a lesson in how to be an idiot.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

So can anyone confirm if you need a passport sized photo when extending a tourist visa?.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

Ok, so after looking up lost passport options for Aussies overseas, I'm a little less stressed as I have photos of my passport and acquired some beer on a morning walk.
It's more a case of, because I don't currently have a receipt, no hotel will admit you and if I don't get one, he's basically got me by the balls forcing me to stay at his hotel until the passport comes back. But alot less stress now.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sober up man 😞
Silence, exile, and cunning.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Private Nuts wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:11 am Ok, so after looking up lost passport options for Aussies overseas, I'm a little less stressed as I have photos of my passport and acquired some beer on a morning walk.
It's more a case of, because I don't currently have a receipt, no hotel will admit you and if I don't get one, he's basically got me by the balls forcing me to stay at his hotel until the passport comes back. But alot less stress now.
But you saved $2. That’s the important thing.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

I have extended my visa 6 times.. 2 time in PP.. Lucky lucky..4 times reputable agent here where I live..
Your story tells me you need to go home..you are lost and need to run for it...
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:30 am Sober up man 😞
That's not fair man, for all you know I might be in a sober course called habitsv2 right now. Noones perfect. I just don't like stressing over passports so thought I'd ask the experts for advice.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

JReb wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 am I have extended my visa 6 times.. 2 time in PP.. Lucky lucky..4 times reputable agent here where I live..
Your story tells me you need to go home..you are lost and need to run for it...
Is this some type of competition on how many successful times you've renewed your visa?. You can have your thoughts. I'm doing no harm. Infact if you knew me I'd hope you'd think I do more good than harm. Have a nice day.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Private Nuts wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:11 am So I was on my way to my normal visa extension lady and my hotel manager stops me and says, I can do it cheaper. She charged me 55 USD last time. So he said 53usd with a photocopy. And I stupidly gave him my passport and he said he's taken it to the local travel agent.
But, he doesn't have a physical receipt and I realised I didn't give him a passport sized photo. And I havn't signed anything, I just took pics of my passport and visa before I gave it to him.
He said don't worry, I'll get them to send me the receipt through an app and then send to you.
Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I like having the receipt and I'm just stressing that there's some scam.
I'll make him give me the address of the travel agent tomorrow. Why wouldn't they give him a physical paper receipt?.
I can't sleep, I'm just too trusting sometimes, it takes two weeks to get a passport back to Siem reap. Passport stress is the worst type of stress, that's why I can't sleep.
This is a lesson in how not to be an idiot.
I'll update you on my experience with the so called travel agency in a few hours.
I probably would just get on a bus with my passport and go do it myself, but thats just me, to avoid the risk of losing the passport. If you lose it, then its a lot of money, and a big headache to get another. I heard if you lose several USA passports, you might not be able to get the 4th at all, which means youd be stuck at home.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic